Mods, can't you tell Snowboarder Bo to shut up?

Bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha! :stuck_out_tongue:
I had seen that video a long time ago, but had completely forgotten about it. I sure am glad I clicked on the link. It’s the one thing that made up for wasting the time I did reading this whole whiny-assed thread! Thanks, lone cashew!

I read that as “Oh, my God! Meme!” Think of “m3m3” as leet, where the 3’s represent E’s.

Can you imagine if it were fifty people a day? Some folks just might call it a movement.

Yeah, that’s got to be it. I was thinking they were hearts. Shoot, now I feel a little less flattered. I feel lonely. I feel…

Gaaaah (╯°□°)╯┻━┻

He loves somebody else, and I don’t think I can handle that! Oh, $c1ss0rj@ck, why have you forsaken me?!

Oh wait, I remember. Both of us stopped taking this seriously a while ago.

Damn, I’m drunk and over tired. I’m surprised I got the coding right in that last post (the table flipping guy is a bit complicated). Anyway, I don’t mean any offense to scissorjack, I’m just overly goofy right now.

I think sleep sounds good right now.

zomg-lgttqatsdt-bbq

Forever Alone

Hey, hold my beer and watch this.

Let’s throw Bo into the quarry!

Now that’s funny.
Any of you grew up with a quarry nearby you?

After this discussion, I have a new perspective on the whole thing.
At first I thought the user name was Snowboarder Bob. I was probably being a little impatient, not really reading to the end of the name.

But now my eyes have been opened and I’ve seen the light: it’s Bo, not Bob

You got a permit for that doohickey, buddy?

Hi there.

Sure I want a board where posters aren’t jerks. That’s why I’m posting in this thread.

Hey, I lost my virginity at the quarry. In a car, but we were at the quarry. Quarry. Quarry. Really starts to sound funny when you say it a lot.

No, they’re not. In fact, the rules specifically address this:

That is addressed in the rules as well.

Speaking as a member, not as a moderator:

I have absolutely no idea why you started quoting that line out of context all the time, but continuing to do so when the majority of people who have weighed in on the subject are annoyed by it is pretty obnoxious behavior. Do you have any reason to continue doing it other than taking pleasure in pissing people off?

Speaking to you as a member, I can only repeat what I’ve said in both this thread and in the Pit: I do not use it out of context. I never have. I use it in exactly the context it was used in when I first heard of it: in place of LOL.

I continue to use it because I find it funny, as do quite a few people who’ve posted both here and in the Pit. The fact that at first glance it seems to be a completely out-of-place non-sequiter is part of what it makes it funny.

It’s no more annoying, IMO, than “Hi, Opal” or “Regards,” or “1920-style death ray” or “I burning your dog” or any of the other dozens of things that get posted here on a regular basis that are now considered “board jokes”, to the extent that the board itself keeps a list of them so that people new to the Dope have someplace they can go to look them up (the Beginner’s Guide to Glossary of Terms on Straight Dope Message Boards).

I take no pleasure in pissing people off, despite several claims that I do, and despite several claims that I said I do. Those claims are lies. Feel free to prove me wrong by quoting the post where I said I enjoy annoying others; you won’t find one.

However, I see no reason to stop doing something just because a small but vocal group whines loudly enough. If they are reporting all my posts and thus causing extra work for the mods to have to wade through the reports, as I’m pretty sure has been happening due to a couple of emails I received from mods, that’s not my fault; it’s the fault of the people who are making the reports. I am not hijacking threads, nor am I threadshitting. I’m not going into threads at random to post it, nor am I using it to pad my post count, as should be obvious from fact that it’s only been a couple of dozen times that I’ve used it. (FFS, why would anyone seek to pad their post count?)

The board includes a feature whereby anyone who doesn’t ever want to see the phrase again can ensure they never have to.

Judging by their attitude towards me, I can’t imagine why they haven’t taken advantage of that feature, since it’s obvious from their posts that they feel I am an idiot and an asshole and have nothing of substance to contribute to their experience on the Dope. How would they be harmed at all by simply removing me, completely, from their purview? It seems clear that they don’t think it would be at all bad to never read anything I wrote ever again, so why don’t they take advantage of that feature and stop bothering the mods?

Mostly where I notice you is in political threads, where I find your posts to be sometimes interesting, sometimes useful, and, yes, sometimes amusing. If you really want people to miss out on what is good about you because you’ve become obsessed by this “LOL” of yours, I guess that’s your call.

You should stop doing it because continuing to do it pisses people off, and nothing of value will be lost by you stopping. It’s that simple.

I say here, in ATMB-appropriate language, pretty much what i said in the Pit thread:

You keep saying that you use it in context, yet what you apparently fail to recognize is that context is a shared component of communication. To use something in context requires that the context and the usage be understood by, if not all, at least a majority of your audience. If something is truly being used in context, people don’t look at your comment and scratch their heads, wondering what the hell those words are doing there.

Saying to yourself “I’m going to let this set of words stand arbitrarily for that other set of words” is NOT “context,” no matter how many times you link to the obscure reference that motivated your iconoclastic usage.

I’ve already said in this thread that i don’t think this is something that needs to be curtailed by the moderators. You shouldn’t be banned from using it; i don’t think the mods should even suggest that you don’t use it. If you want to use it all the time, i couldn’t care less; it’s very easy to skip past content-free posts on this message board. Just realize that plenty of people see it as little more than the equivalent of “Look at me!,” and that it causes people to think of you as little more than an attention seeker.

Nor am i arguing that you shouldn’t piss people off. I’ve pissed people off on this message board before, and will do it again. There are times when i do it accidentally, and times when i do it intentionally. But if i’m going to piss people off, i try to reserve it for occasions when it actually means something to me, in terms of a particular argument or position that i want to take. I try not to spend my “pissing people off” capital on stupid, nonsensical bullshit that adds nothing to the discussion and that alienates people who might otherwise be interested in having conversations with me. Post enough content-free posts, and people will being to assume that all your posts are content-free.

But you do what you want. You’ve made it pretty clear that you don’t give a fuck what anyone else thinks about this issue anyway.

Bonerific!