Mohawk Valley Limberger Cheese Spread (in the little glass jar with the white lid.)

WHAT!? I never heard about that, definitely would have checked it out!

I’ve decided I like 9-10 year old cheddar the best, but I would certainly have been willing to try any of the above!

Yes I bought the Limberger Cheese spread from Bavarian Sausage. It was not Mohawk Valley but
better than nothing. Costly S&H. I was paying $3.59 for jar up to the end for M/V & think that jar is 6oz… Called Kraft, they had no intentions of makig it again. Say not enough sales, so I was told. I will say that I have not met a single person who would buy it or even heard of it. Wonder why, it has been around since about 1938. My kids love it.
We can"t share a ship cost as I live on the West coast & you on the East coast. Hope you can find someone.

I thought that it tasted exactly like the old Mohawk Valley spread, as did my family. Are you sure that you got the same thing I did?

Here is what I got: https://www.bavariasausage.com/shop/products.php?product_id=5728&storecategory_id=38

I live in the Mohawk Valley area of upstate NY. Unfortunately, Limburger cheese is not very appealing to me, so I don’t know if they sell it around here. But here are two sites which seem to be selling the Mohawk Valley Limburger cheese:

http://www.gianteagle.com/21000616718.aspx

http://www.keyfood.com/pd/Mohawk-Valley/Pasteurized-Process-Limburger-Cheese-Spread/6-oz/021000616718/

That’s strange because it’s all over the net that they stopped manufacturing the stuff years ago. I guess it’s possible that they started making it again but the most likely explanation is that those pages haven’t been updated in a while or that’s some very old cheese spread (zombie cheese perhaps?).

In any case, as I said, I’ve found another brand that tastes the same to my family and I.

Nothing is like the old pasteurized Mohawk Valley kind in the little glass jars! I was so bummed they stopped making it too - slathered on rye bread, yum! And the block kind with rind they sell at my markets is blech. I tried an Amish kind but it was mixed w cheddar and so wasn’t the same, thanks to stumbling across your thread I just ordered some from here - fingers crossed!!!

The stuff I ordered was mixed with cheddar; so was the old Mohawk Valley kind.

I’ve been buying Mohawk Valley Limburger since it was available in 16 oz. jars. That was a long time ago but I don’t ever remember any cheddar taste to the product. Likewise for the more recent version in small jars. The Amish brand product is only similar in taste for the first few moments before a really objectionable (to my palate) cheddar-like flavour kicks in. I dumped two tubs of this stuff (one unopened) into the trash. It is an unacceptable substitute for Mohawk Valley Limburger - I hope someone resurrects the “real” product.

Never had Limburger, was just reading this thread out of curiosity. But I wanted to pop in and say thanks for this link! My wife and I went to Chicago for our honeymoon, and she was pretty insistent that we drive to Wisconsin for some cheese. What, 45 minute drive each way for cheese? We get there and bought some 11 year old aged cheddar that was well worth the drive. That was my first experience with quality aged cheese, and we were in solidified cow juice heaven. But I’ve been craving some ever since, and it’s a hell of a long drive from Pittsburgh to Wisconsin. Now we can order it and have it shipped! Cheesy goodness incoming! Thank you!

I had the Amish brand spread about a month ago in Wisconsin. I have no idea what Mohawk Valley Limburger spread tastes like, but I’ve had Limburger and was surprised at how mild this spread was. It tasted light of Limburger funk, but mostly white cheddar. It wasn’t bad–I ate the tub within a couple days-- but it was just a cheddar spread to me.

GMO…(dislectic Oh My God)…Bavaria has the real stuff…David…thanks for the tip…I called them on the phone after placing my order to get an idea of how long it take…They answered the Phone!! No…“For English press one”…they aswered the phone…a human being!! very helpful…and ever called me back to make sure everthing was correct. Cheese arrived in 3 days…same as the mohawk we used to buy in the little jar. Still a bit young…but I will age it out a bit and order more. Consumed half a tub the first day. We use it as a spread on bread…best with a glass of wine and something spicey…like Golden State yellow peppers…not Golden Gate…Golden State. We also use the limberger in our Pasta sauces…makes everything taste better. Was also impressed at Bavarias other food selections. We will be buying some of the meat products soon. Again…Thanks to David and this message board…we have been way to long without this product…
Jerry

That’s great!

I ordered some more for the holidays and finished it up last month. You reviving this thread is making me hungry for more! Maybe I’ll order some. I wish I could find it locally.

haha…glad its making everyone hungry for it…the popularity seems to be catching on…I think when people try it on other foods they will purchase it more.
Something about eating it with sour, vinigary foods makes it evern better…thats why I eat the peppers with it.
My mother was Swiss and lived most of her life in St. Louis…she used to cook what she called Swiss weinies. I asked about them at the Bavaria place and sure enough…they make them…so that is my next order…with some Musterd and red cabbage. The Swiss Sausages are made with Veal and Pork…so wouldnt you know…its against the law in California to mix beef and pork or cut with the same equipment…Thank God I can now order on line.

Here is the website where you can buy this limburger spread, my brother swears this is the best on the market. Unfortunately, we cant find it in the state of California. Here is the best price for the product, but be careful the shipping rates are outrageous.
http://www.williamscheese.com/?Cheese%20Spreads&page_id=63

There are a number of places that sell it, so shop around.

Just got off the phone with Key Foods, they show Mohawk limburger cheese for sale. Even though it goes into your cart it is NOT for sale. DO NOT PURCHASEE IT

Mohawk Valley limburger spread is no longer manufactured. What you want is “Amish Country” brand, as pictured here:
https://www.wisconsincheesemart.com/uploads/dzpro_shop_items/dzpro_shop_item_image/1372limburgerspread-jpg.jpg
Most everyone, including me, seems to agree that it’s similar, maybe identical, to the old Mohawk Valley spread.
Shop around the net for the best price, keeping in mind the shipping costs, which are sometimes higher than the cost of one tub of cheese.

I just got my order from bavariasausage (best price with shipping, I found) and ate almost a full tub already. To my memory, this is a little milder than the old Mohawk brand, and I miss the extra bite (although sissies might like it better). Still it is better than the alternative (none), and my wife won’t let me keep the real cheese in the refrigerator. Also found it a little sweet.

I had it on straight pretzels (easy to dip) along with my nightly vodka martini. Maybe it will get better when I get my order of anchovie stuffed olives! :smiley:

Who else is here because of Markiplier’s recent video, looked up Mohawk Valley limberger cheese spread, found this forum, and irrationally hoping against hope that a post from Mark’s dad would be here?