Molé recipes, from scratch?

(Clarification: I’m talking about the Mexican national dish, * molé poblano, * not the small burrowing rodent. Although my mom once tried to order the latter in a Mexican restaurant, through mispronunciation. The waiter and I were both very amused. But I digress.)

I’m looking for a molé recipe, really from scratch…none of this paste-in-a-jar, just-add-chicken garbage. It should preferably be from someone’s ancient, wrinkled, hunched-over Aztec or Mayan great-great-great-grandmother. The kind of recipe that involves individually roasting six kinds of chilis and seventeen other seeds, nuts, and spices. Any takers? I should be able to find the ingredients somewhere around here, no matter how obscure, because Chicago is chock-full of Mexicans. Extra bonus points if your recipe includes an ingredient I can’t locate, but no fair cheating and adding random stuff.

The last real recipe for Mole that I tracked down takes three days to make; you sure you want to go there?

Yep, I’m that kind of wacky chick. Are we talking three days straight over a hot stove, or in small stages?

I think I’ve noticed in some of your prior posts that you have fluency in Spanish so here is a site that offers several mole recipes. I linked to the poblano recipe but my personal preference is mole negro. And chicken may be subsituted for the guajolote which is much different than the American Butterball type turkeys.

Oh FYI it’s mole, not molé. :slight_smile:

I think I’ve noticed in some of your prior posts that you have fluency in Spanish so here is a site that offers several mole recipes. I linked to the poblano recipe but my personal preference is mole negro. And chicken may be subsituted for the guajolote which is much different than the American Butterball type turkeys.

Oh FYI it’s mole, not molé. :slight_smile:

OK, my brain is too fried to deal with this many languages. I’ve been trying to reach some friends in France, so my brain is in French mode, thus the superfluous accent mark…that, and well, I guess that differentiates the sauce from the rodent nicely, no?