Mollie Tibbetts missing college student (allegedly) killed by illegal alien

You’re saying you think he’s “likely to” “arrest ten million people for” the murder of Molly Tibbetts? That’s insane. Literally a post straight out of bizarro-world with absolutely no basis in reality.

Well, murder’s enforced, yet it still happens.

Yes/No?

How is Trump’s narrative that illegals are a burden to our society instead of an asset hurt by this incident? It directly feeds into that argument.

** On preview, what HurricaneDitka is saying - (your post is) “Literally a post straight out of bizarro-world with absolutely no basis in reality.”

I don’t conclude this, It’s borne out in the statistics.
overall rate of violent crimes (2015)
Chicago = 903.8/100 000
Houston = 966.7

I can’t account for Chicago’s recent spike in homicides, but smarter people than me are also at a loss to explain it.

I will point out, however, that LA has twice as many unauthorized immigrants and has 2/3 the violent crime rate as either Chi or Hou, so what does that say about illegal immigration and crime?

mc

It does feed into it, and that’s unfortunate. But, fundamentally, there’s not much that we can do on this site but fight ignorance and point out the actual statistics.

If reality can’t win, then that’s all there is to it.

The bizzarro world started by telling us that this will be a gift for Trump. It is like being aware that this will be harmful to America, but that it would be bad to discuss why it is that it will be harmful. It looks as if we should not talk about the gross misdirection this will be if Trump does use this “gift” as expected.

I think they’re ranting about the additive effect, so comparative rates don’t matter.

Why should this be a topic of discussion? No, seriously, can someone explain this to me? An illegal immigrant allegedly murdered someone. Even if we leave out the “alleged” part and assume he did it, so what? Should we make a thread every time someone gets murdered? That’d be a lot of threads; there are tens of thousands of murder cases per year in the USA. Most murders aren’t newsworthy. What’s newsworthy about this one?

…No, that ain’t it. Such arguments are based on statistics. One single murder? That’s not even 0.1% on the chart.

It’s not even an anomaly. Why would it be? Immigrants, like all people, make up a diverse cast of characters. It’s fair to assume that given a large enough group of any demographic, someone’s going to murder someone else. It’s a thing that happens. This is “dog bites man” news at its finest. If “one illegal immigrant kills someone” is news enough for you that you feel the need to bring it up in this discussion forum, one of two things is going on:

1. You really don’t understand the statistics surrounding murder and other crimes and legitimately think this is a big deal.
  2. You really want to make illegal immigrants look bad, and branding them all with a crime committed by one of them is the best way you can think of to do that.

(Is there a third option I’m missing here? Feel free to fill me in if it is.)

Also, your framing on this issue is just a little weird. Actually, it’s a lot weird. You’re posting this thread as though the opinion in the OP is not one you share. Why is that? Because given your avatar and your posting history that would kind of surprise me.

If you aborted every white male in utero except for a small number you keep as breeding stock, your overall murder rate would be much lower. Yes/No?

Missing white woman syndrome.

If you decreased the top speed limit by 5 miles per hour across the country, you’d save more lives than are lost to murder each year.

How so?

Well, I mean, I know that. Does HeweyLogan? :smiley:

It seems like a better descriptor would be: “Missing rich white woman syndrome”.

Cuz you know, I don’t think I’ve ever seen 20/20 or Dateline do a piece on a white girl that worked at Waffle House and lived in a trailer park.

Good that they apparently have the culprit. Bad that now it’s going to be used as anecdotal evidence that immigration is a priority. Immigration reform should be a priority, but shutting down immigration should not be. I’m afraid that Republicans are going to use this as distraction from the criminal in the White House and also use it as “one of them killed one of us” fodder for ginning up their base for the midterms. We don’t use every white guy murderer as proof that we should be suspicious of or fear white guys, neither should we use this alleged killer as proof that we should be suspicious of all immigrants.

You do if they are cops. Or at least BLM or their ilk do.

Regards,
Shodan

Because all things must be politicized by party now, it seems Christhain Rivera has been working on a farm owned by Republicans for the last 4 years. The Washington Post is reporting that:

“Rivera worked at Yarrabee Farms in Brooklyn, Iowa, the farm’s president Eric Lang told The Associated Press. He was in good standing, according to Lang, and had passed the government’s e-verify system. Lang is the brother of Craig Lang, a “prominent Iowa farmer and GOP official” who recently lost the 2018 Republican primary to become Iowa’s agriculture secretary.” https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/true-crime/wp/2018/08/21/mollie-tibbetts-has-been-found-dead-a-month-after-she-vanished-authorities-say/?utm_term=.46464fb1851d

If true, and the farm owner says it is, this would prove that Republicans are hypocrits on illegal immigrants- they say in public that we need to stop illegal immigration, but hire illegal immigrants as employees instead of good ol Americans.

I disagree. Nobody says all cops are killers. Just that many cops who are killers get away with murder.

I’m not sure how surprising this is. More than ten thousand people are murdered in the USA every year. It’s hard to keep track of them all.

Sure, you’d save a few lives, but millions will be late!