Mom/son wedding dance song

Our son is getting married in November, and he wants to know what song his mother wants for the mother/son dance.

She is thinking she wants something with a kind of Motown feel and probably faster (I have no idea if the boy can dance), but is coming up dry on particular songs.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Please, no, “Sunrise/Sunset,” I’ll have to poke out my ears.

Unless Smokey, Marvin, or Aretha did a cover, not likely. And a good example of song that she knows she doesn’t want.

My daughter danced to “My Girl” with her father at her wedding. It was very touching and could work equally for Mother/Son.

Nope, that is a daddy/daughter horror. I think I have seen it done at receptions at least 100 times.

mrAru suggested Play That Funky Music Whiteboy [“Well, it is Motown, and not Sunrise, Sunset”]

I’m guessing “Shop Around” would not be appropriate.

mmm

My personal problematic choice was “Respect”, at which point I decided I should ask for help.

And it doesn’t have to be Motown - that’s the musical feel she likes. Obviously, the lyrics of a lot of their hits would be inappropriate.

I have no idea what the sentiment is meant to be for a mother/son dance but I still think the greatest wedding dance number is Stand By Me. There are even a few dance steps in this version.

Don’t be fooled by the title - if you play this at a wedding reception, there will be tears.

Moving to cafe society. You may get more answers there. And congrats on the wedding.

child of mine, carole king.

Around here, that’s thankfully not a popular choice. I’ve been to over 350 weddings, and I can’t remember ever hearing it (and maybe 10% of those weddings were Jewish.) “A Song For Mama” by Boyz II Men, seems to be the one I hear most often – often enough that I never want to hear it again.

Typical choices I hear are stuff like “Stand By Me,” “Into the Mystic,” “Have I Told You Lately That I Love You,” “I’ll Stand By You” (Pretenders), “In My Life,” “I"ll Be There” (Jackson 5), “Unforgettable,” etc.

Or else pick another Motown song with the genders switched, “My Guy” by Mary Wells. It’s a bit more uptempo than “My Girl”. I could dance better to it, but that’s because I’m not good at slow dances.

The Daddy/daughter horror is, “Daddy’s Little Girl,” by Al Martino(?), which is a hundred times worse than, “Sunrise, Sunset.”

Try to find an appropriate song for The Apron Dance, me hearties.

I suppose “Pistol Packin’ Mama” would be out of the question?

Since the first song I thought of (“Stand By Me”) has already been suggested, I’ll just throw this one out there.

When I first saw the album cover in the preview, I thought you were gonna suggest “Every Breath You Take”. But this is even worse :wink:. How do you dance to such a song? :laughing:

You know how they say there are no bad ideas?

I do like the whip cracks as a call back to trying to get that son to do most anything (he eventually turned out fine).

And I appreciate everyone else’s ideas - can always use more.

My suggestion is Mama’s Got a Squeezebox by The Who.

Thank you! That was the one I was to pull out of my brain but just couldn’t pull it off.
The movie Sister Act made that song a major hit all over again.

So, it’s settled then: “My Guy” and “My Girl”.