Well, it’s official - I’m spending January, February, March and a bit of April in Bordeaux at a French immersion school.
My receptive French is pretty good, but I always feel so inadequate speaking it that I say virtually NOTHING in response… So, I’ve finally decided it’s time to do something about it.
The course is now arranged, my plane ticket to Paris is here beside me, and I have a ticket on the TGV from Paris to Bordeaux paid for, so I’m ready to go…
I’ll be staying with a French family the whole time so I’ll be immersed in French day and night, and I figure I may FINALLY start to actually open my mouth in French…
And after all those months, I might finally start speaking French at home with the husband when I get home. He’s French, but his English is so good that we’ve always spoken English for the last 19 years. Even though I don’t speak French, I’ve acquired it through the years listening to him on the phone with his family - enough that I can correct his stories he’s explaining in French. Of course, my corrections are in English… ME, speak French? Why non, non, non… 
Anyone ever done an immersion course? How did you like it? How long were you there?
Apparently I’m to blame for them changing the tests: I went straight to the “high” class and this had never happened. Me, I blame the English teacher I’d had that school year, who was the greatest language teacher EVER.