Monsters, Inc.

Am I the only one…or is there anyone out there who randomly gets the urge to yell Mike Wazowski! since seeing Monsters, Inc. ?

I just saw the DVD today!

Cute film! :slight_smile:

Not only that, but any time my husband or I says “kitty!” the other will say “Mike Wazowski!” The neighbor’s cat thinks we’re nuts.

So, what about the actual film?
(Apparently it had over a million individual doors in that chase scene in the factory!)

Personally, I think it missed an opportunity…(compared to Bug’s Life, Antz and Shrek,) to tap into a thread of running adult humour which made all the others appealing to the parents as well as the children. It was too cute, too child orientated to appeal to the adult market, IMHO.

What do you think?

Couldn’t agree less Aro. While the film was cute to the nth degree (yepp, me and SO yell Mike Wazowski at eachother occasionally), it also had plenty of grown-up jokes. Two that come to mind off the top of my head are the Yeti-monster just saying “No, no! It’s LEMON!” about his yellow snowcones, and the Scarers entrance into the work-bay which was completely taken from Armageddon. Small kids wouldn’t pick up on that imho. There was other stuff too, but having only seen it the once, they are the two that spring instantly to mind.

Armageddon?

You mean that shot they stole from The Right Stuff?

These kids today…

I was disappointed in Monsters, Inc.. I was really looking forward to seeing what else Pixar and Disney could do. It wasn’t a bad movie, but it wasn’t a good one, either. It certainly paled in comparison to Toy Story and Toy Story 2. In fact, I liked the DVD extras more than I liked the movie.

I’m with you, Iteki. [sub]Although my first thought at the entrance scene was “The Right Stuff”, not “Armageddon.”[/sub] :wink:
The DVD was the best $18.95 I’ve spent in a long while.

I suppose they’d suggest that James P. Sullivan’s fur was stretching their talents. I’ve seen all three films with the greatest reluctance because I expected there to be no plot and was pleasantly surprised each time.

Fair enough. (Everyone disagrees with me. ;))

[anecdote]
I went to see it in the cinema with two nieces, one who is 7, one who is 5.
The 7 YO thought it was slightly boring, and beneath her level.
The 5 YO thought it was fantastic.
[/anecdote]

If it bores a 7 YO child , I don’t think it can qualify in the ‘also entertaining adults’ market. YMMV.

(BTW, I did quite like the idea behind the story, with the doors into bedrooms and the monsters holding real jobs etc…an interesting concept.)

You should have seen the look little knarf gave me when I started laughing at the yeti’s response to “Are there kids in the village?”

“Fat kids, skinny kids, kids that climb on rocks…”

I LOVED this movie! Really enjoyed the story and thought the animation was great. Although it didn’t contain as much adult humour as some other animated flicks, I still really enjoyed the plot.

Hubby and I say “kitty!” and “boo!” all the time now.

Oh, and actually…the thing I laughed hardest at was the extra “Mike’s New Car”. It made me laugh until there were tears streaming down my face every time.

Monsters, Inc. is my second favorite Pixar movie after Toy Story 2. I like it a lot better than Antz, A Bug’s Life and Shrek.

FWIW, sex would bore a 7 YO child, too.

Let me rephrase that …

Watching a sexy scene in a movie would likely bore a 7 year old child, too. As would nearly any scene an adult would find suspenseful or filled with dramatic tension.

I certainly did not mean to imply anything connecting actual sex and seven year olds.

Cite please.

Absolutely incredible animation but it was much more clearly a film just for kids than the Toy Story movies. Nothing wrong with that, I would expect any child to be delighted at the movie and most partents capable of sitting through it at least once, but I’m going to be more careful about seeing Pixar’s movies in the future. I’ll wait until I hear that it has the sharper wit that their earlier efforts.

Zappo and DrFidelius are apparently old fogies :stuck_out_tongue:
I have only seen The Right Stuff once, but have had that bloody Armageddon shoved in my face every time I turn on the telly :frowning: I will however learn from this knowledge and cite it correctly in the future :slight_smile:

My milage varies. Lots.

As far as adult humor, how about the restaurant, Harry Hausen’s.

I was the only one in the theater who chuckled at that.

Sorry, hit submit too soon. I didn’t mean to be needlessly cryptic.

For you younguns, Ray Harryhausen was one of the pioneers of stop-motion animation. Remember the Sinbad movies? Jason and the Argonauts? Clash of the Titans? That was him. I thought it was cool that the newest, state-of-the-art computer animation film gave a nod to the old master.