Monthly Photo Competition #11 - October 2023 - “Trees”

This is the monthly thread for October 2023. The topic this month is “Trees”, chosen by @Strinka

Please note:

1. The general rules for the competition are here.

2. One entry per person per month. To make the photos easier to review (and to make the voting poll easier to compile) please only post once to this thread, with your entry. Your post can include a caption with whatever info you want to give.

3. Please keep all discussion in the rolling discussion thread.

4. Once the submission deadline has passed, I’ll put a voting poll in this thread.

Dates:

Submission deadline: 9pm UK time on Wednesday 25th October

Voting deadline: 9pm UK time on Monday 30th October

Good luck!

Oof. I have a number of tree photos I like, but in the spirit of… um… in the spirit of showing recent work, here’s a tree that I’ve shot dozens of different times, but particularly like this one from a couple of weeks ago.

ETA: does anyone have a better site than Imgur that’s free? I want to share a larger version of this but apparently Imgur says no.

Preformatted texthttps://i.imgur.com/6tOYdTB.jpg

Imgur

Photo taken at night at the Devonian Botanical Gardens’ in Edmonton. It was about -25c here, which contributed to the ghostly look. The photo is an HDR composite of multiple images.

If this looks familiar it’s because it’s one of the pictures I considered but didn’t use for last month’s theme.

Sure, I could go out and take some fall foliage pictures, but the majesty of the redwoods is going to be hard to top. Not only are they some of the world’s tallest trees, they’re the world’s largest living things. And the oldest, living up to 2000 years. It’s really difficult to get any sense of scale in a photo.

Taken at Humboldt Redwoods State Park, California, in the fall of 2021.

Imgur

In the spirit of putting my best out there so that some very proficient (not so) amateurs can take potshots at it for a month … :upside_down_face:

Adversity: when life deals you lemons, make lemonade.
North Fork Highway, Wapiti WY, taken using Canon 90D with 55-250mm lens

I saw this tree while out walking in Wollongong, Australia, and was thrilled to capture its image.

Imgur

A tree in our front yard I have a love/hate hate relationship with. It’s beautiful and the wildlife love it, but it drops leaves slooowly.

Strolling around Fasanenstrasse this afternoon I had to think of this thread when I realized: Ceci n’est pas un arbre!

Sequoias at Tioga Pass with my '32 Auburn for perspective.

Kodachrome, Practika 1.9, 50mm

Rock Creek Park, Washington DC, April 2022

Imgur

Trees can be beautiful even without foliage, imho

Pacific Madrone

Avenue of the Giants…

Imgur

I thought the thread was “Monty Python Competition.” Bummer.

The whisperers

Imgur

Fall foliage

Imgur

Trees? I gotsch trees.

Ice storm in 2014. Not something you see every day.

Imgur

I made a trip out to shoot trees but didn’t get anything useful, so I’m pulling one from the library:

Imgur

Cork trees in Portugal.

Imgur