Monthly Photo Competition #15 - February 2024 - “Big or small”

This is the monthly thread for February 2024. The topic this month is “Big or Small”, chosen by @Zyada and @Galactus

Please note:

1. The general rules for the competition are here.

2. One entry per person per month. To make the photos easier to review (and to make the voting poll easier to compile) please only post once to this thread, with your entry. Your post can include a caption with whatever info you want to give.

3. Please keep all discussion in the rolling discussion thread.

4. Once the submission deadline has passed, I’ll put a voting poll in this thread.

Dates:

Submission deadline: 9pm UK time on Monday 26th Feb

Voting deadline: 9.30pm UK time on Thursday 29th Feb (slightly later than usual)

Good luck!

Well, hell, I was going to let someone else go first, since I went first in January, but nobody’s posting anything!

I call this one “Monuments”. I was out walking close to the border between Queens and Brooklyn, where there are a lot of cemeteries. The juxtaposition of the tombstones in the foreground and the skyscrapers of Manhattan in the background struck me.

It’s not big OR small so much as big and small versions of the same shape…

Rufous hummingbird male during breeding season last year, responding to another male in the area.

Daughter’s comment on my macro photo effort was “Cool, Dad, where’d ya get the big
nickel”. Must be a matter of perception. So, it’s small toad or big nickel, take your pick.

This is Memorial Point on Lake Tahoe. When I came home from this vacation and looked over my photos, I didn’t remember putting my camera on the ground to take this picture. Then I saw the tiny photographer amongst the stones – these rocks are not regular gravel in the foreground!

Anyway, this photo is an optical illusion to my eyes.

Time to bust out the kitty photos:

Imgur

Redwood trees are big. This one’s in Prairie Creek State Park.

Twoflower, Your image isn’t loading for me — either in this window or when I click on the link.

In the latter case, I get a white window with a small grey circle with a white horizontal line through it, like a minus sign.

Big Yawn - taken near Murchison Falls, Nile River

Imgur

Second try … big redwood tree, Prairie Creek SP. Hopefully you can all see it this time.

NM, coming soon.

Prison Break:
Imgur

Mosque/Cathedral at Cordoba, 7 Feb. As ever, it’s google photos so click on the photo for the full image.

Google Photos

j

Again, slim pickings for an entry this month, but I’ve got this for Big or Small:

Imgur

My own dearly departed sweet Little and Large. Miss 'em both lots.

More redwoods - here is the Dyerville Giant in Humboldt Redwoods State Park in CA, which was once thought to be the tallest tree in the world. It fell during a storm in 1991:

The giant redwood once stood 362 ft. tall and was considered the tallest tree in the park before its fall in 1991. The redwood’s crash to the ground moved the earth so much that it registered on a nearby seismograph and one local, who heard the impact from half a mile away, thought a train had crashed.

Imgur

She makes me feel small.
Imgur

Is it big or am I just too close?

Small signs of spring.

Is it big or is it small?

Imgur

Big, and not quite as big.

Imgur