Monthly Photo Competition #15 - February 2024 - “Big or small”

Coffee is harrassed by his little sibling.

I had a slightly… different take on the theme

Imgur

Big’uns and littl’uns

Imgur

Big dog, little space.
Imgur

So I’m going with small, probably with the smallest things anyone will enter here.

This picture was taken in 2009 through my microscope, using my 15× eyepiece (which has that numbered scale built into it, and my 100× oil-immersion objective.  When this eyepiece is used with this objective, the distance between the numbered ticks is eleven microns, a micron being 1⁄1000 of a millimeter, or 1⁄1000000 of a meter.

This image shows at least two different kinds of bacteria, Gram-stained.

The larger, pink squiggly things are spirochaetes.  They stain pink because they are Gram-negative.

The much smaller bacteria, mostly just above the scale, between 6 and 7 stained purple because they are Gram-positive.

This entire image covers a width of approximately 70 microns, 0.07 of a millimeter, or about 1⁄363 of an inch.

Big windows

Big lights from the Big Apple

Imgur

Please vote for your three favourite photos, using whatever criteria you feel is best. All Dopers are welcome to vote - you don’t need to have submitted a photo. You cannot vote for your own photo. You get three votes (and the poll will make you use all of them).

The voting deadline is 9pm UK time on 9.30pm UK time on Thursday 29th Feb.

• AHunter3
  • Dogginit
  • Crane
  • Karen_Lingel
  • Fiendish_Astronaut
  • Chefguy
  • Twoflower
  • Mean_Mr.Mustard
  • Treppenwitz
  • Aspenglow
  • snowthx
  • beowulff