Moon pie / Wagon Wheel

I don’t know… I’ve never gone wanting for chocolate after eating a wagon wheel. The amount of chocolate seems just about right.

Any Brits want to do a Wagon Wheel / Moon Pie exchange with me?

I believe both are eligible for UK/US border crossings.

Try this website:

www.foodireland.com

Should be on there.

Wagon Wheels blow moonpies away but then most Engish/Irish chocolate is better than their American counter-parts.

Don’t even get me started on Tayto! I lived right by the factory as a kid.

They’ve always been Wagon Wheels here in Australia. And they have jam in them as well as marshmallow.

I’ve had Australian Wagon Wheels and American Moon Pies, and while there are similarities, they taste very different. From memory (and I’m going back over seven years here), I think Moon Pies have a lot more marshmallow in them. Also, the Wagon Wheel has jam and I don’t remember that in a Moon Pie. Finally, Graham Crackers don’t exist here (afaik) and I had never tasted anything similar to a Graham Cracker until my first Moon Pie so that part of the flavour is completely different to the biscuit in our Wagon Wheels.

This site compares Australian and UK Wagon Wheels. Looks like we got ripped off on the marshmallow.

sounds like fun. email me and we’ll arrange.

peter_morris_1 at blueyonder dot co dot uk

The following is a description of the Wagon Wheel in Canada:

They come 12 to a box, and are individually wrapped in white plastic envelopes.

Each “Wagon Wheel” is a round Graham Cracker on which a layer of marshmallow-like substance rests. On top of this, in the center, is a teaspoon or so of caramel. This is coated with a thin layer of chocolately stuff. The whole business is quite soft.

Another distinguishing feature of the Wagon Wheel is that in the early 70s, they were as big around as your head, while their current incarnations are practically bite-sized. I’ll bet a kidney that this perception is not entirely subjective. :smiley:

Peter Morris, do you post at b3ta by any chance?

Probably not - I don’t know what b3ta means.

Sorry. b3ta. I’ve just never seen a blueyonder address belonging to a non-b3tan before. :smiley:

No, never heard of that before.

For a brief time during the 70s, Moonpies also came in strawberry flavor. They were horrible, and pink.
It doesn’t matter how thin the chocolate coating on a Moonpie is, because the only thing chocolaty about it, is the color. I suspect the company has had a change in managment over the years, because they used to be yummy. Now they’re waxy and always taste stale. Also, not as big as the moon anymore. They used to be HUGE.

The Wagon Wheel enjoys the cachet of having been favored by the KGB, according to this site.

No, sadly, they are not the same, though they are the same concept. Moon Pies are bigger, and they have that delicious graham cracker taste. Wagon Wheels are a bit bland in comparison. They’ll do in a pinch, but they’re not as good as Moon Pies.

Growing up, I preferred Scooter Pies over Moon Pies.