More zero-tolerance BS in schools

Student Suspended for Threatening Song.

Grow up, people- it’s just a song. Kids I knew in high school used to sing it and similar song parodies all the time (though we did have enough sense not to sing it to any teachers).

Wow! What scary and paranoid times we live in these days.
As a kid, my friends and I would sing out the “Glory, glory Hallelujah!” song as we marched single file back to the classroom after the flag raising ceremeony. As we sang of burning schools, tortured principals, etc, the teacher just smiled ruefully and shook her head.

I hate zero-tolerance, too. However, if the teacher is telling the truth here–that he was discussing a grade with the girl when she started singing the song out loud in front of the class–this isn’t a case of a poor repressed student. I dunno that suspension is appropriate, but some sort of discipline would be appropriate.

If the teacher’s distorting events, however, then he’s a tweaker.

Daniel

I used to like this one:

Joy to the world
the school burned down
And all
the teachers died
We’re looking for the principal
He’s hanging from the flagpole
With a rope around his neck

Really cathartic when you’re sick of school and sick of Christmas carols… :smiley:

I consider myself very lucky to have graduated high school before all this zero tolerance crap got out of hand. I’d’ve been in serious trouble.

What would they do if someone started playing Alice Cooper’s School’s Out ?

If she was actually trying to threaten him. As it is, this sounds ridiculous.

Oh, and I forgot to make my contribution:

Joy to the world
The teacher’s dead
We barbecued her head!

We ripped it off her body
And flushed it down the potty
And round and round it goes
And round and round it goes
And roooound and rooooound and round it goes

I still say it depends. When a student is discussing a grade with a teacher whom they believe carries a vendetta against them, during class, it’s pretty likely that the discussion has some animosity to it. If the student then launches into a song about shooting teachers, it may not be a threat, but it’s still extraordinarily disrespectful and rude.

May students be punished for standing up for their rights in a civil, respectful manner? I’d say no. May students be punished for being very rude to their teachers? I think so.

Again, I don’t know that suspension is appropriate, but the student’s account of what happened diverges widely from the teacher’s, and if the teacher is telling teh truth, discipline for nasty rudeness is appropriate.

Daniel

And the old classic:

Deck the halls with gasoline
Fa la la la la, la la la la.
Light a match and watch it gleam
Watch the school burn down to ashes
Fa la la, la la la la la.
Aren’t you glad you played with matches?

Daniel

I almost forgot:

Ta ra ra boom de ay
We have no school today
Our teacher passed away
We shot her yesterday

We threw her in the bay
She scared the sharks away
Ta ra ra boom de ay
We have no school today

Is being suspended for five days a normal punishment for being rude and disrespectful to a teacher, without making threats? I think that’s the worst thing this could realistically be, and that’s how it should be handled (if it did happen the way the teacher described it).

I was thinking of it as disrespectful because it was threatening, but in any case we really agree here.

Wrong.

Ta ra ra boom de ay
We have no school today
Our teacher’s sick today
She had a tooth decay

We threw her in the bay
She scared the fish away
And when we took her out
She smelled like sauerkraut

The version she sang:

On top of spaghetti,
All covered with blood,
I shot my poor teacher
With a .44 slug.

Is very different from the version I remember:

On top of spaghetti
All covered with sand,
I shot my poor teacher
With a red rubber band.

I couldn’t have missed her.
She’s a hundred feet wide.
[something-something] died.

I went to her funeral.
I went to her grave.
Some people threw flowers.
I threw a grenade.

Probably not–again, I don’t think that suspension is necessarily the best approach. I’m just saying that this may not be as innocent as it appears at first. My guess would be that the student is lying about what she did, and the school is overreacting about what she did.

Daniel

People are way too uptight these days. Kids aren’t more dangerous, parents are just more scared/paranoid. Of course it’s easier for the intitutions to do teh major dicipline when a parent gives up the right to do the small corrections now and then.
now for a trip down memory lane:

We used to sing

Row Row Row your boat
Gently down the stream
Push the teacher overboard and listen to her Scream.

Of course it was also common for the boys to walk arm in arm around the recess grounds singing

Extra extra read all about it Girls are retarded.

Not exactly witty little ditties but at 6 farting in public was the hight of funny.

All true. I’m really glad I’m not in high school now. Not only would I be a social outcast who plays video games (as I was in high school), I’d have some paranoid horses’ asses of teachers or administrators convinced that I was potentially going to shoot up the school :rolleyes: At least when I was in school, most of my teachers liked me for not conforming to the crowd.

I can’t believe I’m coming down on the side of this issue that I usually deride. While I detest zero-tolerance nonsense and have ridiculed it in the past, this case I don’t think is the best one for pointing to its idiocy. Two reasons.

One, while I sang those songs in school thirty or more years ago, I feel 100% certain that any teacher hearing them gave them any notice at all, never mind feeling threatened in any way. Post Columbine, that seems to be a different story, especially since other kids have been found planning the same type of thing.

Tied to that, this wasn’t a six-year-old. Someone in 9th grade, as we have unfortunately learned, is someone who may actually seek to carry out some deranged fantasy.

So for those two reasons, I think the kid in question does need to have her hand slapped. Whether that means a suspension for a day or a week or a meetiing with a psychiatrist, depends on what the girl is actually like. But she should be made to understand that songs like the one she was singing aren’t that funny anymore. Especially in 9th grade. If it was a six-year-old, give a playful slap on the back of the head and tell him to pay attention.

One possibly salient detail I overheard is that the girl in question was a recent “special transfer” student when this occurred. Can anyone else confirm?