[QUOTE=Valteron]
Sorry to shout, but someone out there must be deaf, so I will have to:
OF COURSE THE PARTING OF THE RED SEA AND NOAH’S ARK AND ALL THE REST ARE INCREDIBLY STUPID TWADDLE.
But you do realize that Mormons believe al the twaddle in the Bible as wll as the BofM. And right now WE ARE TALKING ABOUT MORMONS IN THIS THREAD!
What part of that last sentnce do you not understand?
[/QUOTE]
Hey, calm down, dude. We aren’t just talking about Mormons in this thread - we’re singling out Mormons as being ‘especially stupid’. I question that. I think once you accept the notion of a great diety in the sky that mucks about with the earth at his whim, the rest is just details. Trying to single out any believer as being any more gullible or stupid than any other believer is just a fool’s errand.
Faith is about ignoring the evidence of reason and logic, and believing in something ‘just because’. It is inherently illogical. Once you make that leap, all bets are off. Hell, you could show me incontrovertible evidence that I’m wrong, and I’d just respond “God works in mysterious ways”. Or maybe, “God is presenting this false evidence to tempt me.”
Believers believe. It’s their thing. It’s not about evidence and rationality, it’s about faith.
As for why so many people believe in Mormonism, I’d say it’s because it fills a need in their lives. I know a few Mormons. They’re some of the best people I know. Say what you want about the foundations of the faith, in practice the Mormon faith teaches people to take care of their families, to be loving and kind, to watch what they eat and drink, to be prepared to take care of themselves, and to be good members of the community. The root foundation of that ethos might be a wacky religion, but the practice of the religion seems to lead to significant success. And if Mormons keep having more babies than the rest of us, then by and by there will be more Mormons.
