So many movies resolve with the wedding, or at least the apparently-permanent relationship commitment. But it seems to me the very differences that made the courtship so amusingly awkward also doom the relationship. Which movie couple/marriage will result in divorce/separation the fastest?
My candidates, in roughly ascending order of duration:
When Harry Met Sally
- her OCD-ish tics will drive him insane in a year
- his wit will pall, and I even suspect his alleged prowess in bed will simply turn exhausting. Although that’ll probably take more than a year. (while we’re on that, why is that utterly dropped when they first sleep together? No mention either way)
An Affair to Remember
- aging playboy falls in love with goody-two-shoes schoolmarm type? And claims to love children? He’s off with the nanny before the first baby gets into day care, I bet.
- because, Andy McDowell. And Gerard Depardieu.
- because, Richard Gere. And, you know, the title.
- middle-class bookish type and international movie star? Nope, not seeing it last.
Four Weddings and a Funeral
- because, Andy McDowell. Although perhaps if they still only meet at other people’s weddings …
What’s Up, Doc
- I give it a shot as long as she doesn’t sing.
Sleepless in Seattle
- kid pushes them together. They stay until he gets to 14 and hates them both, but maybe that holds them together too?
My Big Fat Greek Wedding
- she probably stays through thick and thin, but him? Not so sure.