Most famous example of each dog breed

What’s the most famous example of each dog breed? Preferably famous enough and distinctive enough that you can use it to remind people what a particular breed looks like. (So Santa’s Little Helper doesn’t count - it’s established that he’s a Greyhound, but he’s not drawn with the distinctive features of that breed.) The only ones I can think of right now are:

Rough collie - Lassie
Border collie - Fly and her family in Babe
Dalmatian - 101 Dalmatians
Great Dane - Scooby Doo?
Saint Bernard - Beethoven

German Shephard - Rin Tin Tin?
Beagle - Snoopy
Jack Russell Terrier - Eddie (from Frasier)
Chihuahua - Taco Bell dog

Doesn’t fit the OP’s conditions: Snoopy doesn’t look anything like a real beagle.

Cairn- Toto

Yes, Scooby Doo was supposed to be a Great Dame.

I knew that Lassie was played by male dogs, but I didn’t know Scooby Doo was a dame…

:smack:

Pety of the Little Rascals & Our Gangwas an American Staffordshire Terrier, aka American Pit Bull Terrier (actually 3 or them) bred by the Colby family of Massachusetts.

Bulldog - University of Georgia’s UGA series of mascots

Nonsense – it’s the Yale Bulldog that’s representative of its breed.

Wire hair terrier – Skippy – better known as Asta, who was a big movie star of the 30s and made more classic films than any other animal actor (e.g., The Thin Man, the Awful Truth and Bringing Up Baby).

St. Bernard – Neal from the TV series Topper (in a role played by Skippy, BTW). You have to love a dog who drank martinis.

Weimerarner – Man Ray (my favorite), Fay Ray, Bettina, Chundo, Crooky, and all the rest of William Wegman’s dogs.

Brussels Griffon - Verdell, from “As Good As It Goets”

Bull Terrier - Spuds McKenzie

Greyhound - Mick the Miller

Dogue de Bordeaux - “Hooch” from Turner and Hooch

Norwegian Elkhound - Dante’s dog at the beginning of “Clerks.”

(ok, it’s the only time I’ve ever seen a dog that looks like mine on TV or in a movie)

Basset Hound

1. Flash from Dukes of Hazzard
  2. The Hush-Puppies dog

For Great Dane, I always thought Marmaduke was more easily recognized than Scooby Doo. I think more people could identify a picture of Scooby Doo, but of the people who know both Marmaduke and Scooby, I bet more people could name Marmaduke’s breed.

AKA the breed of dog the NEVER stops drooling. Ew.

Neopolitan Mastiff - Fang from the Harry Potter movies

Golden Retriever - Air Bud :smiley:

Bloodhound - Duke from the Beverly Hillbillies

Don’t know if you would call him “famous” but Ein from the anime Cowboy Beebop is a perfect example of a Pembroke Welsh Corgi.

Golden Retreiver - Buddy the basketball playing dog in Air Bud