Most Hated Cliches

SEE? It bothered me so much I forgot the word “it” in the sentence “Ok so some of it is good”!

Damnit!

Ooooh, this one gets on my nelly:

“Well I guess it was meant to be.”

What? By whom? How do you know? Simply because it happened?

Works for me.

People who, on being given a problem, say “We’re going to think outside the box on this one”. Think outside the box? Shut up.

Quoting Python. Quoting Izzard.

Any cliche about the vast difference between men and women. Men are from earth, women are from earth, we’re human beings for god’s sake.

Any in-joke that outlasts most of the people who originally knew of it’s origin.

Hi Opal :wink:

[sub]ducks[/sub]

Fran

The excuse for being stupid, “I just smile and nod”.

The one that’s been common in my office is “Do you have the bandwidth for that?” or “We don’t have the bandwidth for that”. Why not just say “resources” or “time” instead of “bandwidth”?

Seen in about half of the personal ads on the Internet – roamtic cliches including a desire for “candlelit dinners,” “sitting by the fireplace hnd sipping wine,” “walking in the park hand in hand,” and so on. Well, DUH! Now tell me something about yourself that’s not shared by 95% of the American public.

I can’t believe no one has mentioned the most annoying cliche on this message board:

“just my $.02”

shut up, shut up, SHUT UP!!! Made even more cutesy and annoying by the fact that they can’t just write it with a fucking cent mark, already!!

And yeah, what the hell is up with Hi Opal, anyway? “Fuck Opal” is more like it. Right? Right? You with me? Yeah!

“You know what I mean?” “You know what I mean?” I know somoene who repeats this every other sentence. Am I so stupid I don’t get the point?

“Well, it could always be worse.” Yeah, and it could always be better!

I’ve been subjected to a variation on this theme: “She’s got legs!!” on the oh-so-rare occasions that I opt to wear a skirt. I’m at a loss to react to such cleverness…

There’s a man for every woman, and a woman for every man.
Yeah, right. Evidently, “my” man is Parisian drag queen.

The cliche that I hate the most, and I hate myself for using, is the old Monday morning in the elevator conversation …

Bob: So, how was your weekend?
Sue: Too short, Bob!
Everyone: (chuckles)

Another favorite, this one in the elevator in Friday …

Sue: How are you doing?
Bob: TGIF!
Everyone: (chuckles)

This just makes me want to scream. We have been coworkers for ten years. We should be able to share something about our weekend aside from the fact it is “too short.” If we have nothing to share, we should be comfortable riding the elevator in a nice silence. But I do that stupid short weekend thing every Monday.

So, Is it (hot/cold) enough for ya?

Just my 2¢ :wink:

I don’t like the one that goes,

The Lord helps those who help themselves

I really don’t understand it either. It seems to give the Lord a very minimal role in “helping”. It almost sounds like “if you want something done you gotta’ do it yourself”.
I have found that it’s better to get out of the way and let God do it all, with me having the minimal role.

Another one that frosts me is,

Christians aren’t perfect, just forgiven

Believe you me, by now EVERYONE knows that Christians aren’t perfect. To just shrug it off like that though, is to me, a cop out. We ought to be more accountable if we want the title.

I can top this. A while back (and it may still be going on, but it’s been a while since I last read those ads) it seemed that EVERY SINGLE GUY said that he liked to have fun. He listed his height, weight, hair, eye, and skin color, and what skin color his dream woman would have. His interests were “having fun”, and that’s IT. Hello? Is collecting stamps fun? Is collecting whips? How about a nice game of chess? Or does he just mean that he wants to do the nasty without too much thinking involved?

And just for the record, I do NOT like long walks in the rain. It gets me all grumpy. OK, it gets me GRUMPIER.

"I know there are differences between men and women. Because I read the personal ads in gay papers. The men’s ads are really out there. They’re SO graphic.

‘Big, hairy, and hung seeking smelly caveman for serious spanking, jack off, and uncut action!!’

Oh my GOD! Even if that was exactly what I wanted, I wouldn’t have the nerve to respond to an ad like that!

Oh, but the women’s ads are nothing like that, oh no no. The women’s ads are all…

‘sincere, sensitive, seeking caretak-, um, companion, for long talks over tea. Do you like to read - in bed?’

So pathetic!! Isn’t there something in the middle for gay people by now? With my luck it would be, ‘Big, hairy, sensitive lesbian butch, seeking companion for reading - and jacking off in bed. Smelly o.k.’"

• Georgia Ragsdale

Sports cliches. Hate 'em.

I love baseball, but I don’t think they should interview them. Like in ‘Bull Durham’ when Costner teaches Robbins the sports cliches he will need.

Robbins: That’s pretty boring.
Costner: Of course it’s boring. That’s the point.

The one that gets me the most is ‘There’s no doubt about it’. It is uttered in every baseball interview. Every one! Next time you see a baseball interview, listen for it.

In response to just about ANY question that Al, Dan, & Dennis may throw at him on Monday Night football, Dickerson almost invariably answers with “Most definitely.” Example:

Dennis M - So, Eric, you’re saying that Jevon Kearse has a bloodlust for quarterbacks like Slobodan Milosevic has for Kosovars.

Dickerson - Oh, most definitely, Dennis!

Another horrible catch phrase that has thankfully met it’s demise - the single word “Not!” after a declarative statement.

a: Hey man, my car’s got a flat. Can you give me a ride to work right now?

b: Yeah, man - I’ll pick you up in a half … NOT! Dude, TRL’s on right now - what’s WRONG with you.

::cringe::

Just say “I can’t make it” or something?

“Bright eyed and bushy tailed.” GGGRRRRROOOWLLLFUCK YOU!!!

“Ya workin’ hard, or hardly workin?”

My mom has this habit: When she’s telling a story, and she realizes that she’s been rambling on some tangent for the last five minutes, she’ll signal her attempt to get back on topic by saying “Anyway”. Aaargh!

“To make a long story short…” Too freakin’ late.

My boss has a few that have a tendency to make my teeth itch:

“Are we on the same page of music?”

I don’t know…what score are you reading from?

“Ya follow what I’m saying?”

No, but I HEAR what you’re blathering about.

“Don’t work hard, work smart!”

Then stop cracking a whip over my head and let me finish my book.

He has a few more. These are just the highlights of my day.

My former boss used to use the word “again” incessantly. Even when it wasn’t called for.

“Again, let me say you’ll need this indeminification for that purpose.”

She’d never even mentioned the damn indemnification. She used that word til it finally surrendered and killed itself.
I know it’s not really a cliche, but she managed to turn it into one simply by repeating it EVERY OTHER SENTENCE.

I am sure I can think of others later. I have brothers-in-law that only speak in cliches. They don’t know any other sentences.