Most-hated popular musical acts of the 90s: THE FINAL ULTIMATE POLL TO DECIDE FOREVER AND EVER AMEN

So, in case you missed it, we just concluded a NCAA-style March Madness tournament, to determine the most-hated popular music act of the 1990s. And the most-hated act was whittled down to legendary boy band, 98 Degrees. They beat out Puff Daddy in a squeaker.

Anyway, along the way, there were repeated murmurs of “Where’s Limp Bizkit?” and “Where’s Creed?” Well, to be honest, I had basically selected the original pool of 64 based on popular albums of the 90s, and those guys just didn’t necessarily ping my radar. For which I apologize.

So here’s what I’m doing: I’m taking the winner of our March Madness tournament and putting them up against Limp Bizkit, Creed and Hootie and the Blowfish (the other “Why-aren’t-they-here” band).

No match-ups, no tourney, just a straight-up poll for the most-hated popular musical act of the 1990s.

Finally, a couple of bands I can eke out some legitimate ire towards. :slight_smile: For me, it’s a showdown between Creed and Limp Bizkit. Honestly, it’s a coin flip to me, though today the coin falls on Creed’s side.

Although their music was probably horrible pap, I don’t know the band 98 Degrees, so I couldn’t vote for (or against) them. This left my next choice, which is the one hit wonder Limp Bizkit.

Limp Bizkit. Because as much as I detest Scott Stapp and Creed (thanks, dudes, truly, for paving the way for the likes of Nickelback), I find Fred Durst to be tied for the second most loathsome personage to emerge from the popular music scene in, oh, the last thirty years (he’s tied with Bieber, and both are beaten only by Chris Brown).

Oh, and: Death, always death, to Nü Metal.

Sorry Eddie ------- Creed for me.

Creed.

Why are Hootie &c even on this poll? They were not great, but totally inoffensive.

Yeah, Hootie et alia were fairly banal. Limp Bizkit and Creed were utter crap.

I write it off to the “cute factor” which the Blowfish had waaaay over the top.

I like Hootie & the Blowfish. Darius Rucker has a good voice. I’ve gotten pretty good at ignoring Creed as I do most pretentiousness. Limp Bizkit is one of the most irritating, annoying, and offensively jackassy band to ever release an album. I hate an entire city because of that band (Gastonia, NC, which is where Fred Durst grew up.)

Creed.

They sucked then and time has not been kind. I remember hearing they won a magazine “worst band” reader poll in a year they didn’t even release an album.

My brother hated Hootie & the Blowfish at the time. I thought they were fine then and I like them even more now. Darius Rucker’s solo country stuff now is good, too.

Can’t vote for any of them as I don’t know 98 degrees, and Hootie and Creed had at least one good song each, so if I did vote I’d vote for the Bizkit since they almost sound great but manage to screw it up somehow, in a way that manages to make a travesty of something I didn’t even know I almost liked, so that I almost hate them in the same way that inter-denominational strife is greater sometimes than between two completely different religions, but I just don’t care enough about them either way to bother to click the vote button.

I voted Creed, the worst of the carbon-copy post-grunge formula bands. The messiah-complex wrapper solidifies the win.

Limp Bizkit by a country mile. Why?
–Fred Durst looked and acted like the worst fratboy d-bag you’ve ever known, yet all their songs were about how nobody liked them and how mistreated they were. You’re part of the problem, not the solution.
–They sold millions of CDs without any discernable musical appeal. They never had a single good melody (the cover of “Faith” doesn’t count), noteworthy riff, or witty lyric. Why did anybody like them besides the soundtrack to tantrums?
–In a genre full of modern day Al Jolsons, they were the worst offenders. Durst claimed he saw Bizkit as a hip-hop act(!) and did a battle of the “dozens” with the Korn guy on a song called “All in the Family”. Apt since their rap skills were on par with Edith Bunker.
–Worst of all they aired on the same “alternative” stations that a few years had played everything from Lillith Fair folk to swing revivalists. It was a betrayal of everything “alternative” stood for.

Creed had one good song…“One”.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ak1QtYvvCpI

This + infinity. They marked the downfall of alternative music. After Bizkit, it was all angry white boy, all the time.

Limp Bizkit is deserving of this so it got my vote.

Dang, and here I am thinking that if we had to put up with grunge, at least we got Creed out of it. Unfortunately, Jamicat and I clearly disagree about which Creed songs are good, so we’re not about to win any converts here. :slight_smile:

Anyway, I went ahead and voted for 98 Degrees. In sampling 98 Degrees on YouTube, I can’t see them as anything but muzak and wedding video sound tracks - you know, the kind of music you choose when you need non-offensive noise.

Even a bunch of douchebag frat boys like Limp Bizkit are better than that. And I’m all in favor of blaming LB for the death of whatever you want to blame them for.

As for Hootie… I don’t know what’s wrong with you folks. Their musical style isn’t my cup of tea, but back when they were on the top-40 radio stations, I considered them a welcome break from the rest of it.

You know, I once saw a photo of Kathy Lee Gifford and Fred Durst hanging out together at a posh LA party.

Those two pictured together couldn’t have been more perfect. The king and queen of abrasive personalities.

The problem with Hootie & the Blowfish was the fact they were insufferably bland. At best, their music sounded like a watered-down hybrid of Bruce Hornsby and the Allman Brothers.

Limp Bizkit all the way. Currently my most-hated band of all time. Appealing maybe if you’re a middle schooler pissed at your parents for interrupting your video game to take out the trash. Creed was too boring to get worked up about, Hootie was bland and inoffensive, and I haven’t knowingly heard anything by 98 degrees (my impression was they were a second-tier boy band, not quite NSYNC or Backstreet Boys level)