Most iconic food from each state

Thanks for this!

As I said, I’ve never had the stuff. In fact, the first place I heard of them was in Yeager’s reply. I’m from Morgantown, which is solidly in the northern part of WV.

And not surprisingly, Mike Tomasky is also from Morgantown, and is half Italian. I went to high school with him.

I disagree with the pasty for Michigan. I’d go with the Coney or Detroit style pizza.

I was excited to try making my own green chili sauce from scratch this week on my days off… and then I found out that the store I work at stopped carrying the 505 frozen Hatch chiles two weeks ago, and there doesn’t seem to be anywhere in town that carries anything other than the jarred roasted Hatch chiles. :frowning: I suppose I’ll have to use Anaheims (which I understand are a milder version of the same cultivar and are readily available fresh here in the Northwest) and toss in a few serranos for heat. I’m thinking that stacked enchiladas with carnitas and green sauce, possibly with some cotija sprinkled on in addition to the cheddar cheese, would be utterly amazing.

I don’t think PA would want to claim Tastykake anymore; the last one I had (one of the pies) was simply appalling. And I loooved those as a teen — the coconut pie was sublime.

I think it sounds amazing as well, I’d eat that!

Anaheim’s are what I use when I can’t get local Pueblo chiles and when I’m out of frozen Hatch.

Diane Jennings (Irish youtuber – has a bunch of music reaction videos) tries Culvers in Milwaukee (including deep fried cheese curds)

Brian

Was just held captive in Albuquerque, NM for 3 weeks. Naturally the most iconic food from there is green chiles. Went to eat at a place that was recommended to me, they had Dutch apple pie with green chiles, and I talked them into putting cheddar cheese and warming it for me. Best thing that has ever passed my lips, went back and got it again before flying back home.

Preach it!

Only good that came out of that trip was the food - scored the trifecta the first 3 nights there - Wienerschnitzel chili cheese dogs with mustard and onions, Whataburger, and Blakes Lotaburger with green chiles :rofl: They’ll put green chiles on your Cheerios if you ask nicely :laughing: Other than that, the place has no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

Yeah, I have never had avocado toast and I have been living here for all my life. I would say Tacos or sushi.

I’d accept that.

Slideshow- not thanks.

The Ops version or the Onion’s?

I do admit growing up in Las Cruces NM, and living for a few years in Albuquerque, and while I have very fond memories of the food, yeah, not much else. Some of the natural beauty in the area is amazing, and there are some very interesting historical spots, but I don’t miss nearly anything else.

Sopapillas?

Oh, yes, those too!

I just took a survey of my friends- no one has had Avocado toast. One person said they saw it on a menu once. Several said they dislike avocados but like guacamole.

That would be me. Guac I like. Anything else with avocado, forget it!

Given the state of Mexican avocados and the drug cartels, I’ll pass on anything I didn’t pick myself, thank you very much!

What is the state of Mexican avocados, and how are the cartels involved?

The majority of Mexican avocados are grown in the state of Michoacán, and everybody knows that that state is controlled by the cartels.

I get most of my avocados from the farmer’s market, which requires that they be grown in California.

Mexican Drug Cartels and the Avocado Industry | Infortal.
This demand has allowed for Mexican drug cartels to expand their enterprises away from only stereotypical drug smuggling and human trafficking and into the avocado industry.

Despite the crime, the bling and the bloodshed, Mexico’s drug cartels are profit-minded businesses at their core. As such, they take advantage of trade deals, new industries, seek market share, and fight for supply chain control as any other industry. In 1994, the signing of the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), transformed the Mexican state of Michoacán into the avocado capital of the world. In Michoacán, the town of Periban even holds an annual avocado festival. Beneath the quaintness, Mexico’s drug cartels exert extraordinary influence on the avocado industry… In addition to limes, Mexico’s infamous cartels levy taxes on the country’s avocado growers, and seek to control commodity prices through price manipulation. Recent estimates put the tax at $50 per hectare per month. According to avocado field workers, the cartels offer protection and better customer service than the Mexican government. This is in addition to cartels often taking care of growers’ families.

So the cartels are going legit?