Most Pop-culture references in a single place

I reckon this prize must go to “One Week” by The Barenaked Ladies. In three minutes, they reference everything from Akira Kurosawa to Leanne Rimes. Any other contenders? Perhaps something of Kevein Smiths; generally a lot of pop culture squeezed into the running time there, eh?

“We Didn’t Start the Fire” by Billy Joel.

La Vie Boheme from Rent is basically just one long sequence of pop culture referecnes…

And so forth

I’ll give another vote to “We Didn’t Start the Fire,” and mention that I’m always floored by the material in a Gilmore Girls episode.

I haven’t read it, but apparently the book Silverlock is chock-full of them.

How about some of those old Looney Tunes cartoons where they go to some club full of stars. Or would you count all the celebrities as one?
As a joke entry I’ll submit Trivial Pursuit: Pop Culture Edition.

“Life is a Rock” - Reunion

But we’re only talking about pop culture here. I count about 50 things in the song that are pop culture and not history, and a two-hour movie (must less a book) could easily beat that. It might be the record for a song, but that’s just as well- one We Didn’t Start the Fire is too many.

SCTV? Every episode chock full of cultural references and parody.

I’d have to give it to the movie “Shrek 2.” Even after multiple viewings of the DVD, I still haven’t caught all of them!! :smiley:

The Simpsons. Especially the Beatles episode.

Max, please: you can quote a line or two, but not as large a section as you did. Provide a link to some website that (presumably) has copyright permission, if you want.

Please see Forum Rules: PLEASE READ (Post #2)

The cover art of the Beatles’ “Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band” is pretty well-packed with visual references.

I am way too late but
“We Didn’t Start the Fire” by Billy Joel.

Jim

Good flipping night! How can you people be on the Straight Dope Message Boards and not nominate American Pie? :smack:

Didn’t you post this same post in the best long song thread?
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=343197&postcount6761769 #21 :wink:

Any random episode of MST3K could win this contest without breaking a sweat.

REM’s “End of the World as We Know It” (after “We Didn’t Start the Fire” which wins, hands down)

When I read the question, my first thought was “Planet Hollywood?”

Yeah, but I’d classify those as * culture * references. John Meyers Meyers spent an awful lot of time in the library blowing dust off of obscure books.