Most "prominent" SD-user ever disclosed?

Well, title says it all.

where there ever prominent (IRL) users on SD? … and if so how much of that was known (to mods or to the general public)?

just wondering …

Phil Plait is a somewhat prominent astronomer, who regularly appears on astronomy programs on The Science Channel; he was active here in the early days of the SDMB, as @The_Bad_Astronomer (which is the name he also uses on his blog), but hasn’t posted here since 2004.

jumblejim is actor Jim Beaver. He did an excellent staff report on George Reeves (TV’s ‘Superman’). I did a search, but the article I found didn’t have his byline.

One of us has admitted to be a fairly prolific author, and I read some of his stuff, pretty good. But how famous is that?

Some old school D&D fans would recognize my name, but man, if that isn’t a super niche sort of 'famous" I don’t know what is.

Neil DeGrasse Tyson (@neiltyson ) has posted here:

You can’t get any more prominent than that.

Come on, it’s not as though he’s Kanye West.

Didn’t J Michael Straczynski post here in a thread about Babylon 5?

Not a SD user, but The Straight Dope once published a letter from composer/critic Kyle Gann:

Don McLean also responded to a Straight Dope column about American Pie.

Reminds me of the comment Seal made on the Genius entry for “Kiss from a Rose”:

I have avoided explaining these lyrics for over 25 years. I am not going to start doing it now.

Not to disparage anyone, but how do we know that these claims are true? This is the internet, after all.

Well, I met Phil Plait at a talk he was giving at a museum, and he confirmed that it was him on the site. And IIRC, Neil DeGrasse Tyson said something here about a tweet he was going to make before he made it.

Really, I don’t think there’s much reason to doubt most of the claims you find.

After answering this post of mine 19 years ago … I’ve often wondered if the user @Qburn was the one and only Quincy Jones.

The poster who is the author isn’t shy about it. He wrote a marvelous scholarly book about the Medusa. Medusa: Solving the Mystery of the Gorgon.

We have communicated.

Does @Cecil_Adams count?

FWIW, There was a 1960’s minor rock star that posted here. I don’t remember who, nor was I overly familiar with his music.

Someone who regularly posts to this day was a developer on the video game Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six and was in contact with Tom Clancy himself. Unfortunately I forgot their name but I’m actually impressed at that since that game is now a billion dollar franchise.

I don’t recall the poster’s name either, but I do recall that the band he was in was called The Five Americans and they had a top 10 hit called “Western Union”.

Presumably he’s one of the dapper young men in this video;

I believe that was @aha.