Most U.S Straight Dope Readers Can Get Free $125 (in reality, $5)--Equifax Data Breach Settlement

So your alternatives are:

1. Free $125 (no documentation needed) or
  2. Free credit monitoring (no documentation needed) or
  3. Substantially more if you document your costs/losses

To see if you are covered:
https://eligibility.equifaxbreachsettlement.com/en/eligibility

To submit a claim:

Where do you get that bit about $125 without any documentation? I had two card numbers stolen but the charges were declined and I didn’t lose anything except the annoyance of having to get the numbers changed. And yes, they did say I was “impacted.”

I just checked myself, without much expectation of anything, as I’ve been living in Australia for the last 14 years. Yes, I’ve been “impacted”, and yes, I can file a claim for the $125.00. Huh. So I filled in my info, and I’ve got a claim number. We’ll see if I get the money or not.
There’s been no dodgy activity that I know of; I suppose someone might have done something in the States, but nothing I’ve heard of.

The $125 has conditions attached. You’re only eligible if you already have a credit-monitoring subscription.

I was affected by that breach and I’m not interested in their $125. I probably will take them up on their free credit monitoring extension- I think I’ve read that was for a duration of couple of years.

I’m wondering if Credit Karma counts. They are indeed a credit monitoring service, but I doubt if that’s what they mean since it’s free.

Doesn’t matter. Just check the box which says “I have credit monitoring and will have it for 6 months” and you’ll get your $125.

I have never paid for credit monitoring - accounts get hacked with enough regularity that I seem to get about 1 free year per year. :rolleyes: I think my current service is via Wells Fargo and one of their glorious clusterfucks.

They don’t appear to ask for any documentation to prove you already have credit monitoring, though. I’m sure some people will cheat and ask for the $125 even though they’re not eligible. I wonder if they have some other way to verify you have a credit monitoring subscription.

I do already have “free” credit monitoring as part of my AAA membership (which is really just a marketing trick to try to upsell you to a package that you do pay for). I wondered if that might count, but they probably really meant people who paid for credit monitoring as a result of the breach. So I picked the free credit monitoring.

My credit monitoring service is via kayaker LTD. I am awaiting my check in the mail.

My philosophy has always been to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission. I chose the $125 and didn’t give a shit about whether I actually have free credit monitoring, and am so not worried that equifax will bother to trace it. I mean, what - I’m not going to get the $125 I don’t already have?

No $125 for me; but I’m happy to see I was not compromised.

How did you work that out?!

Not super thrilled with giving my last name and last 6 digits of my SSN to this random website. Have we learned nothing?

I put in a claim for $125–I have some kind of credit monitoring with my credit card, so I guess that counts. Actually the major impact to me was the 4 days I spent trying to remove the freeze I put on when the breach was originally announced.

There really isn’t much to learn, other than there’s little you can do except react when it happens.

I’m not sure if I have credit monitoring or not. I’ve used Quizzle in the past but that was just a freebie credit rating check. I also have Farmers Insurance watching out for me for identity theft but don’t know if that’s the same.

Edit: like WildaBeast, I also have AAA membership. I am so confused now. I’d have to dig through piles of tiny text and paperwork.

Guys. It’s a simple check box. Just click it and get your $125.

This. Nobody is going to be verifying.

If the breach affected 147 million Americans, and each could get up to $125 apiece, then shouldn’t it be something more like a total payout of up to $18 billion? (which might make the company go broke)

Not my problem.

And, again, if they verify and decide I don’t get my $125, I’m out… what? A free credit monitoring service?

I’ll take that chance. :slight_smile: