Most U.S Straight Dope Readers Can Get Free $125 (in reality, $5)--Equifax Data Breach Settlement

I’ve participated in 5 or 6 class action suits against junk faxers, receiving a check for 1-2 hundred each time. The possibility of the company going broke existed each time, but my sleep schedule was never affected!

From Equifax’s latest 10k:

Go for the $125, team. You’re already eligible for the credit monitoring and all you’re doing is waiving $125 to get something they’ve offered, for free, to every single person in the country.

Can I waive my measly settlement and punch all of their Board of Directors in the face instead?

Just called insurance, yes I did and do have credit monitoring. I now have $125 on the way :slight_smile:

147 million punches to the face would amount to a lot of meat tenderizing…

So when can I expect the $125?

You may expect it anytime you want. When and if it actually arrives, though…

I remember freezing my credit, then needing to unfreeze it, so I certainly spent time doing that. I don’t know if my time worrying counts. But what I don’t recall is the exact time frame, so I’m not sure what month/years to enter into the boxes.

I have credit monitoring as part of a settlement due to a data breach of Federal records, so I’m pretty sure I qualify. In any case, it doesn’t hurt to apply; the worst that can happen is I don’t get it.

Next year. The FTC’s summary page on the issue is here: https://www.ftc.gov/enforcement/cases-proceedings/refunds/equifax-data-breach-settlement

Mine is through any bank or credit card company the thieves try to get credit from. Good luck, slimeball!

Reading through the settlement, as usual the lawyers win, with what looks like 4 firms splitting $77.5 million (25%) of the settlement and another $3 million in expenses. The class representatives (I suspect lawyers or friends of same) are getting $2500 each. The rest of us are splitting whatever is left on a pro rata basis, so receiving less than $125 is possible depending on how many people sign up. Although the settlement also seems to increase if less than the expected number of folks sign up you could receive more.

I will admit that at least there is some actual money involved and I look forward to the check. I think the last class action I was notified I was a part of had lawyers receiving about $10-million and I was getting recalculated financial reports from whatever company they had sued claiming the financials were wrong.

Well, I did file a claim since they said I was “impacted.” I can’t see passing up a chance to stick it to Equifax in some small way.

Personally, I seemed to have spent exactly 10 hours worrying. I was most worried in or around September 2017.

I was not impacted. Might be because I lived 16 years overseas in the lead up to the data breach and had no US credit accounts.

I stopped using credit cards decades ago. I use a debit card, use automatic drafting for all my bills, and pay mortgage. I don’t get the need for credit monitoring. I’ve never been in a situation where my credit status came into play. Maybe I live too spartan, but at least I haven’t gotten my identity stolen yet.

Even if your credit status never comes into play, you could end up dealing with the fallout if someone opens an account in your name. Sooner or later the people that are owed money are going to come looking for you.

If you never (or rarely) do anything that involves your credit report, it would be wise to lock/freeze them.

Even if you use it, it’s smart to leave them frozen. It’s the best security to protect yourself from having someone opening up a line of credit in your name.

I’m not sure we will ever need to open another line of credit in my lifetime, so it’s a no-brainer for my wife and I.

I got home today to find a check for about $100 waiting in my mailbox for a different class-action lawsuit that I didn’t even know I was part of. Yay for free money.

Had to look it up, but it appears BP was ripping me off at the gas pump.

Thanks to the OP for the links. I filed for both my wife and I.