Most U.S Straight Dope Readers Can Get Free $125 (in reality, $5)--Equifax Data Breach Settlement

I’m a little concerned that the form only asks for 6 digits of the SSN and your last name. The bad guys who accessed my data could file on my behalf and get my $125.

Now that would be funny…not for you specifically, but if the people the breached it the first time went and collected the $125 for everyone.

Mr. CelticKnot and I both get $125. We get Lifelock through Norton.

There is an advantage to having a lousy credit score. (We got killed in 2008 and haven’t recovered yet.) When living in a city with terrible USPS delivery–we frequently got neighbors’ mail and didn’t receive things like bank statements) we did get a letter telling us that we were not approved for a loan we had applied for. We never applied for a loan.

Get in early before someone does this! It’s going to happen. :smack:

It happens every year with tax returns.

A number of people are going to opt for the extended credit monitoring over the $125, so I don’t think there will be a shortage of payout money. I went for the cash, since I have a couple of different credit monitoring services (AAA, etc.)

If you opt for the money, you’ll get something…but probably not $125.00. There’s a pool of money available to whoever is eligible and asks for the bucks, but the more people who do this, the less money each person gets.

Actually, the payout pool is only 31 million dollars.

Here is a link to a PDF of the settlement. The section that talks about the payouts starts on page 36.

I think I will opt for the free credit monitoring.

I hope no one is standing on one foot waiting for their settlement check.

I, for one, would be thrilled if Equifax had to add the cost of printing and mailing 147,000,000 $.21 checks to the already too-low $31 million settlement.

Assuming they can do this… print, envelope, and mail… 147m checks at $.80 each, that adds another $117,000,000 to the cost.

I’m cool with that. Keep requesting checks, everyone!

I hadn’t considered that, but I like the way you think!

Lol, I didn’t even think about the processing costs when they get these checks back.

There’s several hundred million dollars put aside for the settlement. $31 million is allocated for the payments to consumers. If, after all costs related to the settlement are paid (including lawyers fees), anything of the hundreds of millions remains, that will be distributed to people who filled a claim. It’s unlikely that much will remain. It’s also unlikely that the cost of mailing checks will cause the costs to exceed the total that had been set aside.

So let’s go back to the punching the Equifax leadership in the face idea. Or rather, confiscating all their personal assets right down to the clothes they’re wearing (except for underwear, for modesty) and add the market value of it (sold at auction) to the settlement, THEN we all line up for the face punching.

nm

A blog post on the FTC website says that people who asked for the $125 can get a do-over:

A hundred million pissed off Americans when the 20 cent checks go out next year will be an auspicious beginning to the presidential election year. I would think that due to the myriad previous breaches, anyone who needs credit monitoring already has it.

I find this is a much more interesting and important story than the debate dog and pony circus the media is focused on at the moment.

Yeah, I don’t see any reason to change. Hell, Capital One is offering free credit monitoring to another 100 million people just this week:

And no change whatsoever. :frowning:

My sister works for Equifax and says she and her fellow employees are horrified at the behavior of the people at the top. They never should have promised $125 because there would never be enough money for that. I suspect it would be possible there could be more than pennies for the victims if it wasn’t all going to lawyers.

thanks for that i could use a nice free 125.00