Mountain Dew glow sticks: Stealth marketing or interwebs nonsense?

An apparently recent hoax (or so it appears to be a hoax) has made its way through the internet; the mountain dew glowstick. The recipe for this calls for various ratios of peroxide, baking soda and Mnt. Dew. Some alternative recipes list detergent also.

Many a video posted by annoyed web trollers who try the experiment indicate that this is bunk and I haven’t found any scientific validation for it either. Maybe this is just more prankery or, perhaps something started by pepsi co. to boost sales in a market that increasingly flooded with healthier alternatives to soda (or “pop”, depending on where you are from).

Would this marketing strategy even work? Or is this just another example of people having a laugh at the expense of others?

Interwebs nonsense, and showing the clear signs of fakery. Why would Pepsi participate in nonsense like this? It certainly wouldn’t engender good will to make a demonstrably false claim about their product, and would interfere with potential future sales. It also makes their product look less appetizing and less healthy.

However, if you mix equal parts mountain dew, orange juice, and clear liquor, it will take on the appearance of glowing. Alas it is not actually glowing, it just hits the exact point of translucence where the glow appears to be coming from within the substance itself. I’ve tried it myself a couple times and I call it the “Death Ray”. Nothing to recommend it except its unexpected strength and color.

If you mix equal parts Mountain Dew and Everclear and drink it, eventually any stick you stare at will glow.

To clarify what I meant by stealth advertising, I meant; marketing where consumers do not realize they are being marketed to, and made to appear to have no corporate involvement. Simply done on the presumption that people will go out and buy Mountain spew, just to try the experiment…not as far fetched as it sounds, as I know plenty of people who have tried, and failed at it. I laugh gleefully at them

Small time operations will do it a lot. I couldn’t tell you the day to day trend, but bigger companies have been burnt by stealth marketing attempts and are avoiding it. I assure you that at PepsiCo they wouldn’t waste their time. The increase in sales could never match the cost of making a decision like that to start with.

Good point

Even for a concoction as vile as Mt Dew, the number of people buying it for a science experiment is going to be negligible compared to the number who buy it to actually drink the stuff. I don’t think that Diet Coke saw any significant boost from the Mentos experiment, and that one actually works.