Mouth to boob?

The charges were dropped. The woman was not intoxicated.

It seems like the waitress didn’t understand the situation. A glass of beer with a meal will not matter when mom is nursing a baby.

Math says it shouldn’t matter, because the alcohol concentration is so low. Basically, imagine the baby is drinking from the mom’s fluids, which is her entire body, and the mom is drinking from a small glass of alcohol.

Or, 0.2 proof like calculated above. A baby has a liver, and will be able to metabolize a tiny amount of alcohol like that before the concentration becomes high enough to do anything.

With that said, how did the Mayo clinic conclude that this was definitely bad?

If the Constitution is anything to go by (questionable), the prosecution have the onus of proving that, medically and physiologically, the event that was reported constituted any measurable endangerment go the child. Including producing expert witnesses, who would make such an assertion in full view of their peers, jeopardizing their reputation accordingly.

(O/T) Whoah…that is so weird.
On my local (Melbourne, Australia) radio station this very morning, the hosts were talking about places with weird names, and Toad Suck was one of those mentioned. (/O/T).

Sounds like a delightful place wot!

:smiley:

With the old “There is no known level of <possible risk> that is absolutely guaranteed safe for babies!” line. Well no shit, there’s no known level of driving that is safe for babies either. It seems any medical advice involving pregnancy or babies has to shame the mother for trying to make a rational risk assessment…

I dug a little into their references. There is some evidence that breastfeeding after drinking can make the baby restless, and there is more evidence that alcohol reduces milk output. (Though I guess that depends on the type of alcohol given the other cites in this thread.) In terms of the greatest quantifiable harm, most of the medical literature reviews concluded that decreasing milk production would lead to earlier cessation of breastfeeding and the loss of all the associated benefits.

Still, they hauled Mom off to jail for a while.

Wonder if there’s going to be any further fallout from this.

Yes, it’s amazing how health information changes once you get knocked up. Suddenly it’s 50’s paternalism all over again and nobody trusts you to make your own decisions at all. If you want any idea at all of what’s ACTUALLY safe you honestly have to go to the literature, which most people don’t have either the access or the ability to do. It’s shameful. Don’t even get me started on the pregnancy drug categories.

Isn’t it legal in way more states than that?

18/50 of states don’t allow it, 32/50 allow minor consumption in some fashion. Figures from 2013 and from 6 years prior via Wikipedia/that website

11 have a family exception only (9 in 2007)
6 a location exception only (wine with dinner) (6 in 2007)
4 states (not those ones) allow drinking with family or in certain locations (5 in 2007)
11 states allow drinking with family and when in certain locations (11 in 2007)
18 and DC allow neither (19 and DC in 2007)

Note: legality of furnishing to minors is different, and purchase isn’t normally allowed.

You’re getting overexcited. You should probably lie down for a nap while the rest of us continue discussing the issue. Careful on the stairs!

The nice thing is that any crazy mayhem you do is excused by hormonal hysteria. I’m just sayin’.

There, there.