Movie ID, probably nobody knows this, but here goes anyway.

(And I don’t know it either, but I’d like to know).

Back around 1980, or maybe even the late 70s, there was free classic movie channel called Tempo that was on our local cable outlet. This was way before most people had settop boxes; all cable gave you in those days, apart from greatly improved reception on the ordinary channels, was a few odds and ends to fill up the other spaces on the 12-channel dial. Tempo came on Channel 12 on the dial.

Tempo had some pretty good movies on, but there wasn’t any commentary the way there is with Turner Classic Movies today. Finally, there came a day when the picture on Channel 12 simply froze. It was as if whatever they were showing was just stuck, like wallpaper on a computer; the picture was of a baseball game in progress. And that was the last I ever saw of Tempo.

There was this one movie that they showed, and all I remember is that it was an early sound film, made in 1929, and involved some people travelling on a cross-country bus. At some point, they get stuck in the snow. The bus was odd in that each row of seats had its own door, somewhat like British trains where every compartment has its own door to the outside. I didn’t get to see the whole movie, and all I remember is that the driver kept sneering “Oh yeah?”, and at one point one of the passengers says it’s disgraceful that they don’t have a railroad yet, where they were going. (If he only knew!)

Does anyone know what this movie was?

High Voltage (1929). From The American Film Institute Catalog of Motion Pictures:

You can watch the entire movie online for free at MovieFlix.

Straight Dope is cool.

You can say that again!! The fact that I was able to get this question answered demonstrates that growth in membership is not bringing about a decline in quality.

A warning: only some movies are free; many are withheld for “premium” members, at $20 a month. I didn’t bother to find out until after I’d paid the dough that you can’t download and keep the movies at movieflix, while there are several sites–same price, same selection–that allows you to download them, and even show you how to make DVDs out of them.

These other sites do not have any movies for free, though, so movieflix wins on that account. They do, however, SAY their movies are free: it’s just the software required to download that costs $20. :rolleyes:

High Voltage at MovieFlix is free, gratis, no charge.