Movie release dates - I pit thee!

I went to see The Day After Tomorrow Wednesday night, and we saw a couple of trailers we liked the look of for Ladykillers and The Terminal. We all decided we wanted to see them both, so I looked up the release dates on IMDB.

Ladykillers - USA: 26 March 2004, UK: 25 June 2004
The Terminal - USA 18 June 2004, UK: 10 September 2004

wtf? Why do we (UK) have to wait so long for the same film to be released? It’s not like they have to dub it into a different language or anything. Even Iceland get The Ladykillers a week before us!
And what’s the point of advertising a film in June that’s released in September? Just to annoy us? There was talk of releasing films the same time everywhere to stop people downlaoding them, well they’re not helping much putting them 3 months apart.
Oh, and we have to wait until 2 July 2004 until Shrek 2. Joy.

Amen. And if you’re a geeky Ron Perlman fan like me, you will no doubt be seething that while Americans saw Hellboy no less than two months ago, we’ve got to wait until September. I thought they were supposed to be making release dates closer to combat piracy?

Are they? The only film I have ever heard of being released all over the world at the same time was Matrix: Revolutions.

Actually, though, I am really surprised that it is still taking so long to get films on the other side of the pond. I wonder what the real reasons are.

The top 5 films in the UK at the moment are:

The Day After Tomorrow - USA 28 May 2004, UK 27 May 2004.
Troy - USA 14 May 2004, UK 21 May 2004.
Van Helsing - 7 May 2004, UK 7 May 2004.
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - USA 19 March 2004, UK 30 April 2004.
La Mala educación - USA 19 November 2004, UK 21 May 2004.

Most are released at similar times, it’s just some are soo far apart it annoys me! I’ve got no idea why La Mala educación is released in teh USA so late, but it is a Spanish film.

In most cases, especially for smaller movies like The Ladykillers, only a certain number of prints are made and they don’t have enough to send all over the world at the same time. For big-budget Hollywood movies, that’s not as much of a factor because they can afford to make as many prints as needed. The Matrix Revolutions playing all over the world at the same time is a great example (says the person who saw it at 8:00am in Chicago…eeeks).

I’d imagine this kind of thing might become obsolete when all/most theaters go digital. I know that a lot of people are against it, but it will mean that prints won’t have to “wait in line” to get to other countries. I’m no expert, but I’d assume that there will always be prints made for the smaller towns and countries that will never go digital (unless the technology got very very cheap), but I’d think those places would get the prints first at the same time everyone else is getting the digital.

I live in Chicago where almost everything plays, and I know how lucky I am. I get ticked off when something opens in “NY/LA” and I can’t see it right away, but I’m not complaining. I’ve lived in places where the cinema sucks, and I never want to live in such places again.

For American-made movies, the domestic distribution and the foreign distribution are often handled separately. It may not be the American film company that’s holding things up, but the foreign company.

Robin

muttermuttermutter September fucking seventeenth muttermutter grumble gripe bitch’n’moan…

[hijack]
Might I just add that I hate living in a small town? My friends three hours away say Troy two days after it came out over here. (We’d read the Iliad this year for university). Unfortunately, I couldn’t make it into the city to see it with them, and was hoping to at least see it here the same night they went.

No. We haven’t gotten it here yet, and I doubt we ever will.

I figure it’s because Shrek 2 and Van Hellsing were in at the same time (they’ve never had more than four movies at once, and lately have stuck to just three). But I hate knowing that there’s a good movie out there that I really want to watch, especially since I don’t watch many movies anyway and rarely go to the theatre. And when one comes along, at least half the time we don’t get it here, or is in for such a short span of time I miss it. Cripes, we’ve gotten movies in late before, couldn’t you wait a week or two to show something else so that we’d at least have a chance, however small, to see this one?
[/hijack]

That’s understandable, but it’s a kick in the teeth for two of the most cinema loving nations in the world, Ireland and the UK. I can understand smaller films waiting on box office success in the US to try and fund releases abroad, but there is no real excuse for major films to be delayed for several months to be shown in Europe.

All good points for digital projection and digital distribution. Then print cost and shipping costs won’t matter.

Of course equipping all the theatrs on earth with digital projection systems is another matter.
But tell me UK dopers.

Does the fact that a movie was a hit in America make you want to see it? Do they play that up in ads for a movie over there?

Then there’s the flip side of the coin:

Here in the USA, we don’t get to see foriegn releases at all unless they win some sort of major award. If at all. Sure, sometimes it takes time to dub or caption, but what about all the non-Hollywierd English language flicks? Hell, some aren’t even available for our region DVD after several years. I, for one, would enjoy a bit more choice.

Hell, I’ll never be able to see The Red Garter or Young Adam (unedited) since every friggin video store in the states is on a mission to clean up movies. Not even Netflix has 'em

It certainly encourages distributors to put a bit more in the advertising kitty, but it doesn’t say “American Smash Hit!!” on the posters or anything.

Generally, what plays well in the US will play well over here (except for corndog “USA! USA!” endings, like Independence Day, but seeing as most Hollywood filmmakers only see the US as their primary market, it’s perfectly understandable).

You get them late so you can benefit from the wisdom and experience of your North American brethren. To wit: Ladykillers sucked, don’t go see it, rent the original instead.

<Indignant American>

That new Harry Potter film opened in England before the US! What’s the problem with that?! :mad: :mad :mad:

</Indignant American>

:wink:

You’re not missing anything.

Hey be thankful your getting the movies at all!

The cinema in the town where I live had some osrt of falling out with a distributor (I dont know the full story, I was just told this when I asked why a movie wasnt ebing shown) so now the only movies they get in are the ones that are expected to be a success.

Thankfully a new cinema is in the process of being built.

You want the theatre to show stuff that will probably bomb?

July? July?! We have to wait until July to see Shrek 2? Nooooooooooo!

No, but it would be nice if they showed some of the smaller movies as well as the blockbusters. The last movie I wanted to see that they didnt carry was d Mountaind as far as memory serves that didnt bomb…