Movie Themes

List all the nice TV/movie themes you know. You should consider these themes ‘good’ irrespective of the context and usage in their respective movies/show. IOW, they should stand as good pieces of music on their own, as if they were musical pieces by some band.

I’ll chime in the ones I like

End Titles from Bladerunner
Crimson Tide
The Kiss from Last of the Mohicans
Bombay
Bangkok Hilton
Lux Aeterna from Requiem for a Dream
Brazil
Where Eagles Dare
Bad Boys
Lara’s Theme from Doctor Zhivago
Indiana Jones
Star Wars
Imperial March from Star Wars
Poirot
Pink Panther
Mission: Impossible
Braveheart
Chariots of Fire
1492 : Conquest of Paradise
Many Meetings from LOTR
Terminator
Twin Peaks

I’m rather fond of the Jurassic Park soundtrack, particularly Welcome to Jurassic Park.

Goldfinger and Thunderball

The Godfather

I’m fond of quite a bit of DAnny Elfman’s work, most notably the Themes/Scores from:

Beetlejuice

Mars Attacks

Ed Wood

Batman

Pee Wee’s Big Adventure

And of course, the themes for The Simpsons and Tales From the Crypt.

Wasn’t fond of his work on Spider-Man though. A superhero needs a memorable, iconic theme, especially one as well-known as Spidey.

I’m assuming you’re talking about the Sicilian song Brucia La Terra.

Do you know Elfman did the score for Good Will Hunting as well? One of my favorites of his is the opening titles from that movie.

Also, the train station score from Unbreakable is great (James Newton Howard).

Most of Thomas Newman’s score for Meet Joe Black is wonderful.

Howard Shore’s music for The Lord of the Rings has been top-notch so far. “Forth Eolingas” from The Two Towers and “Concerning Hobbits” from Fellowship are quite memorable.

Eric Clapton’s music for the British series Edge of Darkness is very rare, but very worth finding.

James Horner’s score for Sneakers is awesome, especially “Too Many Secrets.” His theme for the “Battle in the Mutara Nebula” from Star Trek II is a lot of fun, and “Bishop’s Countdown” from Aliens is an out-and-out classic.

Tangerine Dream’s “People in the News” from Miracle Mile and the Unicorn theme from Legend are great.

Hans Zimmer has some great work, “Now We Are Free” from Gladiator is one of my favorites.

Alanis Morrisette’s song “Uninvited” from the City of Angels soundtrack is almost worth the price of the CD by itself.

“Sleepers Wake” from 12 Monkeys is quite memorable, one of those songs that is hard to seperate from the film.

Peter Gabriel’s “A Different Drum” from The Last Temptation of Christ is incredible (but really, the whole score kicks ass).

The use of Sting’s “Shape of My Heart” at the end of Leon (The Professional) is one of the most perfect uses of music I’ve ever heard in a film.

My favorite use of music in any film, however, is the use of Henryk Gorecki’s Symphony Number 3 at the end of Fearless. I swear I stop breathing every time I see that sequence, and it’s perhaps the ideal marriage of music with film. Heartbreakingly perfect.

Suprised no one has mentioned Goodfellas. Lots of classic songs on that soundtrack.

I rather like “A Journey In The Dark” off the LOTR soundtrack: specifically the point where they’re entered the large hall (of Dwalin, I believe, but IANA Tolkien expert) and Sam says “Now that’s an eye-opener, make no mistake!”

The very beginning of “The Black Rider” off LOTR is great fun, too, just before the hobbits fall off the hill. Very fun and it seems to put the epitome of hobbit-ness into a few seconds.

The start of “Bridge of Khazad-Dum” is massive enjoyment, as well–definitely gives me tingles.

Danny Elfman also did The Nightmare Before Christmas, which has some great songs and music. I also like Silvestri’s Back to the Future theme.

I can’t believe no one has mentioned the theme from The Good, The Bad and The Ugly by Ennio Morricone

Written under the pen name “Howard Shore,” of course. :wink: