Movie/TV characters' great apartments

What’s the deal with the bathroom in the apartment on New Girl? It’s like a public bathroom, with stalls and I think even urinals. Weird, I’ve never been in a residence that had a bathroom like that.

Three Men and a Baby lived in a fantastic loft space. They were all rich though, which explained it.

I’ve always wondered what the exterior of that building must look like.

In the TV program Bosch mentions that he made a bunch of money from a movie of one of his cases. There is a movie poster on the wall that he points to. I think it was for Black Echo, which was the first Bosch book.

I’ve always been more partial to “lairs,” myself, but I’ll admit I’ve always had a fondness for Vicki Vale’s apartment from the 89 Batman.

I always liked Mary Richards’ first apartment in Minneapolis. Never really warmed to the second one.

Greg Brady’s swingin’ bachelor pad (he “occupied” his dad’s den) is, for a teenager, not bad.

Jake and Elwood Blues’ flophouse apartment didn’t much rate, even before the explosion.

Anne Frank’s.

Truman Capote’s.

You’re joking, but seeing as Hepburn served as a courier for the Dutch Resistance during the German occupation, she might actually have been able to help.

It’s been almost 40 years and the movie didn’t even get translated for the Spanish market, but I remember watching a Catalan piece where the protagonist had an “apartment” right on Plaça Catalunya, in what’s actually the Telefónica building. The little crib, being used by one person and almost completely devoid of furniture (apparently there wasn’t budget for that), was about 3-4 times the size of your standard full-family flat, with ceilings high enough to park a small plane in the living room.

It’s been true for a long, long time that characters in American TV shows (and, to a lesser extent, movies) often live in houses and apartments that in reality they couldn’t possibly afford:

Neil Simon lampshaded this in one of his plays (The Goodbye Girl, I think) by having his character saying they had the apartment “on a sublet from Mary Todd Lincoln”.

Mad Men’s Don Draper’s NYC apartment with his 2nd wife was pretty spiffy.

Nice place. Lots of space.

Yep.

The definitive reference for TV apartments: http://inakialistelizarralde.tumblr.com/

Holy crap–what a fabulous link. :eek: Thanks!

Michael Weston in Burn Notice lived in what looked like a shipping container.

Without air conditioning.

In Miami. :smack:

I always wanted a huge NYC loft like the one Tom Hanks had in Big. With the trampoline and pinball machine of course.

I loved the outside of Betty and Henry’s gothic castle of a mansion. The inside was fairly awesome, but the kitchen seemed to have all the original equipment. It should have come with a mob-capped cook and kitchen slavey so Betty would have never had to go in that appalling space.

There was a spectacular loft shown in ‘Year of the Dragon’ with Mickey Rourke, 1985. Looking right out at a NY bridge over the water! I think it was owned by the female lead, who was a reporter (?) Apparently she had a rich rich father to pay for that loft! It even had its own credit at the end of the movie (“Loft created by____ North Carolina”)