movies containing maps

A Map of the World, despite an admirable performance by Sigourney Weaver, utterly disappoints”

-film review in Cartography Today

Is Treasure Island too obvious?
*Apocalypse Now - *Map of Nung river and Kurtz’s location.
*Deliverance - *They had a map of the river valley, didn’t they?

Various Bugs Bunny Cartoons, like “Bully for Bugs.”

The recent Journey 2: The Mysterious Island features a map created (literally) from putting together 3 other maps torn from classic novels about islands (which in the film are assumed to be of real islands)

Wargames

Also, earlier in the movie, there’s a scene between Rigby and Marlow where he finds Carlotta off the coast of South America.

Diamonds are Forever has a map near the end detailing Willard White’s empire.

In the movie Patton, Field Marshal Montgomery draws a map of Sicily on a fogged bathroom mirror to illustrate his plans for invasion.

There is also a map shown (of Sicily) during a meeting between Patton and Bradley.

There may have been a screen map showing Patton’s route to relieve Bastogne. Not sure about that one. Also maps in the German War Room.

The Three Stooges short MALICE IN THE PALACE has a very nice map with comical place names.

The Battle of Britain has the big map of England on which ladies pushed little model airplanes.

Yes. I mentioned it much earlier.

In Atlantis: The Lost Continent the Atlanteans (specifically Zaren, played by the ever-smarmy John Dall) presents the hero, the Greek fisherman Demetrios with a relief map of the known world. Demetrios re-shapes it into an accurate map using clay.
It’s bizarrely hilarious – the Atlanteans have submarines (!), yet the Greek fisherman makes a much more accurate map than they have. In fact, it’s as accurate as a modern map, which I doubt the Greeks could have done back thwen.

The kicker is that another Greek fisherman recognizes it as an accurate map, and attacks Demetrios for giving the atlanteans an accurate map!
Oh, yeah – the beginning and end of the film feature animated maps, too.

While it’s not a huge plot point in the movie, as I kid I was struck by the map of Oklahoma/Indian territory in Hang’em High because the map wasn’t wide enough for the entire state, so the long, straight bar part of the state/territory was drawn on top of the main ‘boxy’ section of the land. A crap description, but here’s a still

It’s also a bit hard to see as the scene is darkly lit, but Marcus Aurelius shows Russell Crowensius Maximus the map of the Roman Empire he’s got in his tent up on the frontier in Gladiator. And while it’s not strictly speaking a map, there’s a lovely model/CGI bird’s eye view of the city of Rome in the same film.

The recent Robin Hood film features a map as the film depicts the destruction of cities in England, including that well-known northern city, Peterborough.

God knows I’ve seen/heard both of the latter films about a quarter of a billion times as my elderly mother, a serious Russell Crowe fangirl, has them on endless loop at the house, and I just re-screened Gladiator on a big-screen for a university class (and discovered, hilariously, that one of the helmets the gladiators can choose from in their first gig at the Colosseum is a replica of the Sutton Hoo helmet. Seriously, if errors in Gladiator were a drinking game, one would be dead long before Marcus Aurelius. :slight_smile: )

The Deadly Mantis has a comically long scene to open the movie that pans over a map of the world.

See post #13

There’s the NORAD map in War Games.

There’s also Cutthroat island where the search for the various parts of a map to a treasure island is part of the plot.

If you’ll accept TV, from Blackadder II episode ‘Potato.’ Edmund is trying to impress the queen by going on a dangerous sea voyage into unexplored waters.

Melchett: Farewell, Blackadder [hands him a parchment]. The foremost cartographers of the land have prepared this for you; it’s a map of the area that you’ll be traversing.

[Blackadder opens it up and sees it is blank] -

Melchett: They’ll be very grateful if you could just fill it in as you go along. Bye-bye.

Or the scene with the enormous globe from Close Encounters Of The Third Kind.

ISTR a rather large map in The Phantom starring Billy Zane.

One of the Star Trek:TNG movies (Generations?) has a scene between Picard and Data in the stellar cartography room: it’s a holodeck that projects the stars all around them. Looks neat, but I’m not sure how practical it would be.

The 3rd and 4th Pirates of the Carribean movies had the Mao Kun map with the rotating circles to get to various destinations.

Note that this post does not invalidate your statement.