Totally with you on that, and I can’t believe it got as lukewarm a response as it did. Don Bluth visuals, an excellent soundtrack, and the story was engaging.
My theory is that it was released when Americans still overwhelmingly thought animation = kids’ fare, and were upset when they realized it wasn’t exactly Pokemon. That’s changing, but slowly.
[QUOTE=wheresgeorge04]
I have to disagree here. I hate the movie, with a white hot hate, but I am the ONLY PERSON I KNOW who doesn’t LOVE the stupid thing. Everyone - cool, uncool, lame-os, jocks, stoners, bloods, wasteoids - EVERYONE around me loves this tripe but me.
George
[/QUOTE]
Me too. My rating on ND is “eh”.
I’m with **Dr. Rieux ** on - The 1967 Casino Royale.
lissener- OMG :eek: Dude, you did not bring up “that movie”. :eek:
My oddball fave is “Doc Savage- Man of Bronze”. Many hate that film.
I also like and own “Shultze gets the Blues” which few have seen.
[QUOTE=lissener] Last Action Hero–script by Shane Black–is one of the most consistently brilliant parodies ever made, by anyone, in any medium. Seen it maybe 10 times, will never get tired of it. The* Spinal Tap* of action movies.
[/QUOTE]
I enjoyed this one too, and agree that it’s an excellent style parody. I’d even call it The Princess Bride of action movies.
I entered this thread specifically to mention this movie. Swiss cheese plot, badly miscast voice actors in spite of all the big names, yet I can’t stop watching. I love it.
Disregarding the “so bad they’re good,” “cool to like for the irony value” bad films (Krull, Beastmaster, Legend, etc.), I’ll mention The Blood of Heroes, a cheesy 80s film about a Mad Max-esque future, starring Rutger Hauer and a very young Vincent D’Onofrio. Also Solarbabies. I must have a weakness for nuke-blasted futuristic deserts.
Another vote for 1941 – a little overlong, but some great visuals. Eddie Deezen on the ferris wheel with the ventriloquist’s dummy is one of my favorite scenes!
For my part, near the top of my “wow, it’s on TV, I gotta watch it!” list is Jesus Christ Superstar . Every review I’ve read has been negative to “meh”, but I absolutely love it! Of course, the soundtrack alone probably plays a big part in my opinion–still, one of my favorite films of all time.
Judge Dredd and Demolition Man - god they suck, but I love the ham-fisted, over the top silliness. Maybe it’s just sci-fi Stallone I love!
I also love Fifth Element, also silly, but gorgeous. Dense like Blader Runner, but bright and colorful.
Also; Sextette - Mae West’s last feature! “Oh! The British are coming!” Phantom of the Paradise - Paul Williams! Bugsy Malone - singing teen gangsters! cream puff machine guns! Chachi! Paul Williams! Omega Man - psychedlic afro vampire babe! Logan’s Run - Jenny Agutter! hubba hubba Predator 2 - 'nuff said!
I have to add that while I don’t love them , I have a sick fascination with Arnold’s comedies like Junior, Kindergarten Cop and Jingle All The Way. bad, bad, bad. Why do I keep watching?
Also; Sextette - Mae West’s last feature! “Oh! The British are coming!”
[/QUOTE]
OMG, how could I have forgotten Sextette --possibly the best bad movie of all time! Good call, Logan!
I mean, just the thought of Timothy Dalton about to willingly have sex with Mae West… :eek:
Truly the train wreck for train wreck aficionados!