I like Beavis and Butthead and I own the English Patient (ducking)
Bubble Boy
No, really! Jake Gyllenhaal is hilarious and lets it all hang out (figuratively) with his performance in this one. All of the characters and the plot are very cartoonish, but the actors really do a great job playing their parts. The supporting cast includes Swoosie Kurtz, Marley Shelton (the gorgeous girl-next-door), Danny Trejo, and a group of sideshow freaks.
Here is a review by a poster at imdb who gives a good rundown of the ‘feel’ of the movie:
It’s sort of like an amalgam of Tim Burton’s Pee Wee’s Big Adventure, Edward Scissorhands, and Big Fish.
I love it.
Two words: Robot Jox
[QUOTE=Beware of Doug]
Btw, did anybody else not totally hate Romy and Michele’s High School Reunion? I can think of worse ways to spend an hour and a half than making goggle-eyes at Mira Sorvino and Lisa Kudrow.
“You’re the Mary!” “No you’re the Mary. I’m the Rhoda, I’m the Jewish one.”
[/QUOTE]
This is actually one of my favorite “feel good” movies. I have seen it dozens of times.
[QUOTE=robardin]
For some reason I can’t find too many other people who liked Dark City as much as I did, but its IMDB rating is a healthy 7.7 so clearly I’m not alone, just hanging out with a declasse crowd. (Fortunately my wife liked the movie!)
How about Beavis and Butthead Do America? That’s one I can’t seem to get anybody to watch with me, even the ones who will watch Dumb and Dumber.
[/QUOTE]
Roger Ebert chose* Dark City* as one of the Best. Movies. Evar. Which, OK, he’s retarded. But no, you’re not alone.
And Beavis and Butthead Do America is BRILLIANT satire.
The Matrix * is a pale shadow of Dark City*.
I forgot about The Screaming Skull. I didn’t think it deserved the MST3K treatment.
[QUOTE=Dr. Rieux]
The Matrix * is a pale shadow of Dark City*.
[/QUOTE]
You know, I’d get myself banned if I responded honestly to that . . . ![]()
King Arthur - I know it wasn’t ‘historically accurate’, like it promised. I know Keira Knightley’s boobs looked bigger in the poster. I know that a lot of the points were contrived and obvious. And yet, I really liked it.
The Island - The first half of this movie was the most excellent sci-fi I’ve seen in a while. The second half was a lot of very pretty explosions.
Æon Flux - I didn’t get the bad. I mean, I know it wasn’t like the cartoon. But the plot had been thought out, the reality that had been stretched wasn’t beyond all belief and one of the people had hands for feet!
To add something new, I’ll nominate The Phantom of the Opera. I can’t defend it, but I love it.
As I mentioned in an earlier thread, Matrix: Reloaded was a great movie, IMO, and could have led to a much more interesting third movie if they’d followed my suggestions.
Jingle All the Way gets rented every Christmas at our house. It’s cartoonish at the end, but god it’s a great parody of the Christmas shopping rush.
[QUOTE=anu-la1979]
Night at the Roxbury.
I don’t get why people hate this movie. I liked it when it came out (I saw it at the old $1.50 theatre on St-Catherine’s street…I think they tore it down or it closed down or something…anyway, everyone in the theatre was laughing) and I still crack up at it-esp. now that I actually live in L.A..
[/QUOTE]
Does everybody hate that one? Nobody I know does.
It’s good right from the opening “I broke the window again.” Haha
[QUOTE=Sublight]
Jingle All the Way gets rented every Christmas at our house. It’s cartoonish at the end, but god it’s a great parody of the Christmas shopping rush.
[/QUOTE]
Every time I see it on cable (I don’t own it but do like it), I think of the Seinfeld episode where Frank Costanza gives his account of the creation of “Festivus”: Many Christmases ago, I went to buy a doll for my son. I reached for the last one they had, but so did another man. As I rained blows upon him, I realized there had to be another way.
A true prophet!
[QUOTE=Beware of Doug]
Btw, did anybody else not totally hate Romy and Michele’s High School Reunion? I can think of worse ways to spend an hour and a half than making goggle-eyes at Mira Sorvino and Lisa Kudrow.
“You’re the Mary!” “No you’re the Mary. I’m the Rhoda, I’m the Jewish one.”
[/QUOTE]
I LOVE THIS MOVIE! Especially that scene where the song comes on and they start dancing like they did in high school. Fucking hilarious!
[QUOTE=want2know]
Another vote for 1941 – a little overlong, but some great visuals.
[/QUOTE]
I know 1941 was not successful at the box office, but until I bought the DVD I didn’t know people disliked it. I like it a lot. The soundtrack is fantastic. I used to use it as my workout music. I’ve been known to say ‘I’m a bug!’ and ‘Horrywoooood!’. I wish they’d done more with Belushi though.
The South Park Movie dont blame me blame Canada
Kingpin way way under rated
[QUOTE=Raguleader]
Two words: Robot Jox
[/QUOTE]
“Jox” isn’t a word!
[QUOTE=Dr. Rieux]
The Matrix * is a pale shadow of Dark City*.
[/QUOTE]
Shouldn’t Dark City just be a bold shadow of The Matrix? :dubious:
[QUOTE=Terrifel]
“Jox” isn’t a word!
[/QUOTE]
Yes it is! In the future, it’s plural for “Jock”!
Yaknow, when almost nobody knows how to read. ![]()
I’ve always been a fan of the movie Roadhouse, but I was 11 the first time I saw it.
I really like Star Trek: The Motion Picture. I love the 2001 style. I love the long, slow tease when Kirk first sees the Enterprise. I like how realistically painful it is for Spock to try and reintegrate with his old friends after being separated for so long. I think it’s well done all around and am always a little sad when I see how much it’s disliked.
I could sure do without the pajama uniforms, though.
[QUOTE=gonzomax]
The South Park Movie dont blame me blame Canada
[/QUOTE]
Who hated the South Park movie? It was brilliant.