Movies With a Good Twist *Please, no spoilers*

The novel is infinitely superior. I think any faults in the storyline or twist are due to it being a little to close to Forsythe’s reality.

Not based on the trailers tho -

I submit that just knowing a movie has a twist is a spoiler and can lessen your enjoyment of the film because it makes it now a puzzle you try to figure out rather than just enjoy the story. I did a thread about whether others agree a long time ago that went pretty long.

While that is true, the title of this thread clearly states that these are movies with twists. Anyone opening the thread does so with that understanding.

The Sting (1973)

For me, it was No Way Out. As we were watching it, I was *certain *I knew who the bad guy was. I didn’t know. I loved the ending.

Unfortunately for me, I heard some bozo on the radio spoil The Sixth Sense, but because of what I then knew, I watched it differently. I’m pretty sure had I not known, I’d have never guessed.

I walked into The Game knowing nothing about it. Thought it was pretty good.

The Life and Times of Chubby Checker.
mmm

Errrgh.

As I have frequently pointed out many, many times. The Sixth Sense does not have a twist. It is not canonical, it is anti-canonical.

Anyway. Let’s see. The Third Man is a really good movie. Have no idea why I’m thinking about it right now.:slight_smile:

Terribly unappreciated and underrated.

Yeah, The Prestige deserves more attention and respect than it generally gets.

A couple more movies with This Changes Everything reveals: The Thirteenth Floor and Dark City.

(As to whether a This Changes Everything reveal is the same thing as a Twist: it’s debatable, I guess. But presumably if someone enjoys movies having one, they’d also enjoy movies having the other.)

Many film noir movies had a twist at the end. In fact, it was one of the genre’s main plot devices.

I’ll go with this one:

The Other, 1972 (not to be confused with The Others).Also, a strong second for The Last of Sheila.

On the other hand, Sleuth didn’t fool me for more than about a minute.

nm, don’t want to put in unwanted spoiler

The Tenant. Something you’d never expect, since Polanski is such an expert filmmaker.

Gah! That’s one film I really would have liked to have seen knowing absolutely nothing about. All I did know that there was a twist, and from there it’s not hard to figure out from the beginning of the film. I still really liked it, the mood, cinematography, acting etc - but goddammit the character interactions should only have made complete sense at the end of the film, or on a second watch. :mad:

The Others had a twist too.

Frailty was another this changes everything for me.

For that matter, so did Carnival of Souls and Jacob’s Ladder–the same twist. (And of course there’s the original appearance of the idea, the short story “An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge,” by Ambrose Bierce. It was made into a short film and shown as a Twilight Zone episode.)

I like The Prestige, but the twist was telegraphed all the way from…

the pile of hats on the hillside. I believe that’s within the first quarter of the film.

Subsequently, I didn’t find it very twisty.

I liked the twist at the end of Akira Kurosawa’s Heaven and Hell (AKA High and Low).
Obviously, there’s the twist (of the knife) at the end of Old Boy.
I’m not sure that the exact nature of the twist is revealed in either of Abre los Ojos or Vanilla Sky, but they are good films and I feel like they belong in this list anyways.

The Last Seduction