Movies With Nameless Lead Characters

What are some movies in which the lead character
[ul]
[li]Does not have a name/their name is never mentioned?[/li][li]Does not know his/her name and it’s never mentioned?[/li][li]Has a name, but it’s so irrelevant or secret that it’s never mentioned (or not mentioned until the end of the movie)?[/li][/ul]

I can only think of two:
[ul]
[li]Kevin Costner’s character in Waterworld is known simply as “The Mariner.”[/li][li]Uma Thurman’s character in the Kill Bill movies is known simply as “The Bride.”[/li][/ul]

Surely there are others. Any help?

Well, Clint Eastwood plays a character call The Man with no name in…

Now I forget which one exactly.
Also in E.T. Peter Coyote plays ‘Keys’. Named so because of his jingling keys that hung off his belt but although he is in charge of the government operation to capture the alien, nobody uses his name.

How bout that Clint Eastwood movie where he has the town painted red?

High Plains Drifter.

What about My Dinner With Andre? Does the other guy have a name?

I think in one/some of Clint Eastwood’s “spaghetti westerns” his character was nameless, but I’m not a big fan so I don’t know for sure.

Also, Terminator 2, The Lone Ranger and E.T.

Fight Club

Hero

Oh God! :wink:

Actually, The Bride’s name is eventually mentioned in Kill Bill Vol. 2.

Beatrix Kiddo

Charles Bronson’s character in Once Upon A Time In The West. I think he was referred to as “Harmonica” or something like that.

Hulk.

In the play “12 Angry Men” the main character is just “Juror #6” [sic]. In the last scene of the play (Crow T. Robot: That scene brought to you by the Superfluous Foundation.) he’s given the name Sam [sic], but I prefer the play.

Eastwood is the Man With No Name in an entire trilogy, actually: A Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More, and The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly.

You’re thinking of the “Spaghetti Westerns”. Namely* A Fistful of Dollars*, For a few dollars more and *The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. *

Technically he does have a name in Hang 'Em High - he’s the ghost of the Sherriff who was tortured and killed by the men that ride into town. It’s revealed on the tombstone as he rides out of town.

Clint was billed as “the man with no name” in both A Fistful of Dollars and For a Few Dollars More, but he only had no name in the former. They refer to him by name in the latter - “Monco.” Blurring this line even further is the IMDb’s inexplicable crediting of “Joe” to his roles in AFOD and The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. Strange, since he’s called Blondie about a billion times in TGTB&TU.

AHEM.

Still counts, 'cause the OP asked about movies where we don’t learn the name until the very end.

Then there’s Robert Culp’s character in Demon with the Glass Hand.

Edward Norton is credited as Narrator in Fight Club.

Of course, both incarnations of The Jackal, Bruce Willis and Edward Fox, don’t have a name.

The bass player of the Wonders in “That Thing You Do!” is never mentioned by name and, in fact, is listed in the credits as T.B. Player.