Movies you know you should see, but won't...

The Hours - the actresses (Nicole Kidman, Julianne Moore and Meryl Streep) and the actor (Ed Harris) are very good and the movie has gotten awards and nominations, but it just seems like a “Chick Flick”.

When I was 20, I was living in Germany and went to Buchenwald. It was, by far, the most emotionally devastating experience of my life and something that has indelibly left its mark on me.

I have not seen Schindler’s List. I doubt that I ever will.

I never watch Disney or Oliver Stone movies.

Their versions of reality are too warped for me.

I think Schindler’s List is pretty overrated, myself. Yeah, it’s about the Holocaust- I just don’t think it was particularly effective. It hasn’t torn me up- in fact, I don’t remember most of it. Just a few isolated scenes. There are much more disturbing films out there, IMHO.

Oh, but it’s absolutely one of the most beautiful movies I’ve ever seen, and it stays fairly true to the book. If you enjoyed the book, it would be tragic not to see the movie.

Oh, and The Ring…good Lord, if you are at all susceptible to this type of movie, stay far, far away. I had nightmares for a week, and scary movies don’t scare me. (Of course, I don’t think it helped that I have a TV in my bedroom.)

Deliverance - I’ve heard enough about it to know that it would bother me too much.

Saving Private Ryan.

Susan

what is wrong with you people? how can you be too afraid to watch a movie? why do you have to take your emotional baggage into a film and why cant you just let go and enjoy? sheesh…for most instances, its only a movie, maybe its based on a real story, but none the less its on film. why short yourself because you cant seperate reality from film? anyway…

gone with the wind…i just feel like it isn’t something i really would love as some do…i may see it at some point…

any movie in which black actors constantly crack on whites making the movie into some sort of help the poor afican americans feel better about themselves type flick…some recent films i cannot recall and even dave chappels comedy on cc seems to be based on too much poking fun at crackers…

The Ring for its scariness.

Memento, as before mentioned. Like jackelope, I couldn’t say why. I know I’d like it. But I can’t see when I’d see it. shrug

By the way anyone who hasn’t should see Moulin Rouge…yes, it is love it or hate it, but what if you love it?

(Then you’ll end up loving it, devloping a crush on the male lead, making a web site about it and talking about it constantly like me.)

And if you watch it, and find yourself disliking it after the first half, try to stay for the last half. They are both very different. As Baz Luhrmann pointed out, the first half is more energetic and funny and so on, but the last half is more romantic.

That’s pretty much it, I think. I try not to refuse to watch a movie just because of what I’ve heard about it, because my tastes tend to run contrary to most people’s. (see my aforemenetioned love for MR.)

I make it my policy not to watch movies about genocides.