Movies you know you should see, but won't...

We’ve all got them. We all have “important” books that we should read, but don’t read those, either. But, which “important” or “critically acclaimed” movies are we avoiding, and why?

Requiem For A Dream – I have a feeling it will scare the bejesus out of me. Too much emotional intensity.

The Deer Hunter – I tried watching it, but it was too boring in the beginning. Plus, I’m afraid of the Russian Roulette scene.

Bad Lieutenant – I’ve seen enough to know that Harvey is a bad, bad man. And naked. Lots. Also, intense.

Citizen Kane: I’m sure it’s a work a cinematic genius, but I haven’t seen it and haven’t made any real effort to. It’s my loss, I know that.

Amores Perros: Received wide acclaim as the best foreign movie of the year last year, but I know there’s a dogfight in it, and I can’t bear to see it.

Schindler’s List - absolutely no way in hell I will watch that.

Given my experiences with Platoon, Saving Private Ryan and Blackhawk Down, I will never see another realistic war movie.

Don’t be–I didn’t find it scary at all. If anything, I would stay away from this movie for the boring factor alone.

Two films which have already been mentioned: Schindler’s List and Saving Private Ryan. From all I’ve heard they’re both excellent movies, but way too intense for a wuss like me.

Ditto Schindler’s List.

I will also, no matter what everyone else says, watch The Ring. I would have to sell my TV to be able to sleep at night from what I’ve heard. My daughter refused to sleep in the same room with a TV for weeks after she saw it and she loves that kind of stuff. No thank you, nuh-uh.

Lolita with Jeremy Irons. I love Jeremy Irons. I think he’s fabulous. But he plays the psychologically tormented soul so well, that often it just hurts to watch some of his movies, even though they are excellent films, because I feel for his characters. I re-read Lolita after I heard he was going to be in it and I just decided that I cannot watch it. It would hurt. It is, in fact, the only movie of his that I don’t own.

Another Schindler’s List checking in. I also never want to see Platoon, Apocalypse Now, or Full Metal Jacket. In general, I can’t stand movies about 20th century wars. I find them sad and disturbing, not entertaining. Now Braveheart, on the other hand…

Once Were Warriors

…too close to home… :frowning:

I tried watching “Schindler’s List” a few years ago, but got too depressed halfway through to watch it anymore. It’s well-made, but god, it’s sad.

Good call. I’m not a Jeremy Irons fan. I have nothing against him, mind you. I had heard all the hype about this movie that I had to see it when it came on Showtime. Creepy. And not in a good way. A couple of the scenes were downright unnerving. It takes a lot to creep me out anymore, but this movie did a damned fine job of it.

Got a weird story about how I ended up seeing Schindler’s List, kind of a hijack, but here goes. When it came out my parents refused to see it, or let me see it (I’m 19 now, so I was 9 or 10 at the time…good idea). About 6 months ago, the parents went out of town, so I spent a lot of time watching movies, since they usually bitch at me to do my homework or some such when I do. I decided I was gonna go rent Fast Times at Ridgemont High (a great film, if anyone hasn’t seen it) and it was checked out, so I got something else. This continues for another couple of days, and I finally set my mind to getting Fast Times, even if it means going to every video store in town. I walk in, look around, don’t see FTaRH, spot Schindler’s List, say to myself “I hear that’s a pretty good film” and rent it instead. I am incredibly glad that I saw it. Undoubtedly the most powerful film I’ve ever seen, incredibly sad, yet reassuring that there is good in the world, and that it will triumph over evil. Ok, I’m done with the hijack, back on topic
There are only two films I can think of that I will not watch:
[ul]
[li]The Exorcist-supposed to be “the scariest film ever made” why the hell would I want to watch that? To be terrified at all times?[/li][li]Night of the Living Dead-the only film my dad ever walked out of, said it scared the shit out of him. See previous question.[/li][/ul]
Oh yeah, you could not pay me enough to watch Eraserhead again…talk about incoherent garbage. Actually, you probably could pay me enough, but it’d be well into six figures.
One final note:The Ring was not scary. Stupid? Yes. Beautifully shot? At times, yes. Occaisionally shocking? Yes. Unintentionally funny? Yes. As good as everyone built it up to be? No. Just my $0.02, though I did see it with about four of my friends who love to clown on bad movies. Watching it by yourself at home, lights out…it would be pretty freaky then.

The Godfather - as a horselover, the horsehead scene I’ve heard so much about is just - wrong. I first found out about the scene when I was a young girl, and ever since then I have refused to see that movie. Ditto The Ring.

Silly reasons, maybe, but stuff like that can haunt me forever.

I don’t want to see Memento for some reason. I can’t say what it is; it has nothing to do with any of the actors, or the director, or any other crew member, or any review I’ve read, or any of that. I just have a basic desire to not see that movie. I’m sure that sooner or later I’ll break down and watch it and love it, but for now… No thanks. Can’t explain it; just not interested.

Rubystreak, I’m a psycho dog lover as well; I was horrified at the idea of dog fights in this flick. But for some reason I rented it one night, and absolutely loved it. For one thing, there was an extra 20 minutes at the end about how the dog scenes worked, and for another (SPOILER):

The whole message of the movie is “dogs = love,” and it’s about the ways that dogs in people’s lives reflect their understanding of love.

Wow… I’m a bit surprised. People actually LIVED through Schindler’s list… if they beared it to be done to them, you 'd think people could bear to watch it.

Is this some sort od denial? I don’t understand.

Moulin Rouge

Basically, from what I’ve read and heard, it’s one of those films that you either love or hate.

I’m kind of aware of this part of me that sometimes reacts to films according to my mood. For Moulin Rouge, I want to make sure it gets me in my best mood…I think that will only be fair to the film. So I bet I never see it.

Apocalype Now

I’ve owned this film for two years now on DVD (just before the redux version was brought out, sadly). Still never watched it, don’t plan on ever doing so. Reason? Dunno. It’s high profile amongst movie afficionados scares me, too. Kind of like with 2001:… which I eventually saw and which I could not detest more.

Well, they didn’t have a choice.

Are you one of those people who think we have a moral obligation to watch Schindler’s List and Amistad?

Denial? Denial of what?

JFK Just from looking at it, it looks like such a load of crap. Sitting through it would be like sitting through a holocaust denier’s movie.

I know – it’s not that serious, but it uses the same techniques. The deniers have always taken their tactical lead from JFK conspiracy theorists, and JFK conspiracy theorists use exactly the same techniques.

Big Fat Greek Wedding–I don’t want to watch it even though everyone says it’s funny.

Star Wars–Never seen it, never want to.

Lord of the Rings–No interest whatsoever, but a really cute boy might be able to convince me.

Paradise Lost 1&2–I know I really should watch these because I believe in the innocence of the WM3, but that kind of stuff keeps me up at night.

Priceguy…
I’m in no way saying we have a moral obligation to watch those films. I just think it’s quite interesting that some people here REFUSE to watch them because they are “too intense”.

People actually lived them. But… some people won’t even watch actors shadowing their stories. I just wanted to know why.

pause for dramatic effect.

and an apology for driving this thread off course.

Hijacking just a little bit more…

Because it’s painful to watch, perhaps? Or maybe they just think it’s boring. Why do they need a reason?