Movies You Once Liked That You Now Think Are Awful

Didn’t he have to give up his powers BEFORE the one-night stand with Lois Lane?

One of my favorite movies. And that’s not misremembered nostalgia talking - I saw Tron for the first time about 6 months ago, and though it is easy to pinpoint in time, that rarely bothers me about any movie. Tron is the kind of unique, whimsical movie that could have only come out of the 80’s, because big studios don’t take risks like that anymore.

Could not disagree harder. 2001 has one of the greatest endings in film history, if not the greatest.

As for my pick, I’m one of the many people who will admit to liking The Phantom Menace at first watch. By the time it was out on DVD, I’d come to my senses. In my defense, I was 14 at the time.

DH and I recently watched Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid for the first time since we were probably teens, and WOW is the soundtrack bad. The movie help up pretty well (and with William Goldman doing the screenplay, it better!), but that soundtrack. Worst part was definitely “Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head” during the bicycle scene. Cheesy-bad, made-for-low-budget-tv music.

Every Which Way But Loose and/or Any Which Way You Can.

I watched one of them a little while ago, and it surprised me how much of the movie didn’t involve Clyde the orangutan – the orangutan is the only reason to watch the bloody movie in the first place!

It came out when I was 14, and my best friend and I completely obsessed over it. There’s probably still a cassette of the soundtrack in my attic somewhere, and possibly one of the earrings we made ourselves to mimic Jason Patric’s. I haven’t watched it as an adult, but I think I would still enjoy it, even being aware of its weaknesses.

Speaking of weaknesses, Star Wars, Episode IV is objectively a much lower quality film than all my childhood memories make it out to be. But I still love it, even when I have to pretend not to notice Carrie Fisher’s accent variations and such.

The only film I can think of that fits the criteria is the Babes in Toyland movie starring Drew Barrymore. I couldn’t even make it through the first 10 minutes when I went to watch it on YouTube in anticipation of the Nostalgia Critic review. But, as a kid I watched it multiple times–something I rarely do with movies.

But it is redeemed the scene in the principle’s office where they are trying to decide what to do about the penis through the hole of the girl’s shower. That alone was worth the price of admission.

What always bothered me was the whole eyeroll disbelief thing aimed towards teh Randy Quaid character every time he mentions being abducted by aliens even after the giant space ships are hovering over the major cities. [and especially when they are asking for experienced pilots at the end] Dudes, if there are aliens hovering over Washington and LA, and you tell me that you were abducted by aliens 15 years back, I am probably going to believe you.

In Richard Lester’s cut, yes. It’s reversed in Donner’s.

According to IMDB, the soundtrack composer for LadyHawke is a guy named Andrew Powell, who (according to Wikipedia) did work as part of the Alan Parsons Group on all but one of their albums. Kinda wondering what prompted the studio/director/producer whoever makes that decision to hire him for the movie. Total mismatch. They should have gotten a group that performs actual medieval music.

Director Richard Donner. He’s the guy who came up with the “Can You Read My Mind” sequence in Superman. He has very strange taste in music.

[QUOTE=salinqmind;17169721Could not disagree harder. 2001 has one of the greatest endings in film history, if not the greatest.
[/QUOTE]

I agree. Truthfully, did you understand the ending when you first watched it or derive it years later?

Sorry about the quote snafu.

Hot Shots! and Hot Shots! Part Deux . Loved it in college but it feels so silly now.

Willow. I loved it when I was younger. Watched it about a year ago and oh hell was I bored. Val Kilmer running around half naked was still good, but the rest just sucked.

But it’s all “A-Team” style fighting - there are bullets and tanks and rockets and flamethrowers, yet no one ever seems to get shot or killed.

Principal. Your school’s principal is your pal.

A principle is “a fundamental truth or proposition that serves as the foundation for a system of belief or behavior or for a chain of reasoning.”

Yep, Parsons produced, Powell composed. That was a very common collaboration in those days–Alan didn’t actually get into performing (much) with the APP until many years later. I was on an Alan Parsons fan mailing list a few years after the movie came out and they talked a lot about that soundtrack. Everybody thought it was fantastic (of course they would, being fans and all).

I wonder how many of them still do. I’m as big a fan of Parsons and his work as I ever was, but even I have to say that soundtrack was badly matched to the movie.

Krull and Beastmaster.

It’s my understanding that What’s Up Tiger Lily was originally supposed to be an hour-long TV special, but was taken out of Woody’s hands by the producer, who added in extra, not very funny footage and completely incongruous Lovin’ Spoonful musical numbers. As a finished product it’s not nearly as funny as it was the first time we saw it, but when the movie’s firing on all cylinders, it’s pretty dang funny.

When John Woo’s The Killer first showed up over here, it blew me through the back wall of the theater in a seemingly nonstop blaze of gunfire and melodrama. Watched it again recently; the action sequences aren’t as innovative or as exciting any more (of course, people have been using Woo as a template for this kinda thing for 20 years) and the stuff between the action scenes is like watching paint dry. Ditto The Heroic Trio - revolutionary at the time, clunky and much less interesting now.