Movies you watch(ed) when high.?

Another vote for Delicatessen; also City of Lost Children.

Kill Baby Kill, a great Mario Bava black and white with lots of crumbling stone walls.

And, I should warn you not to watch Werner Herzog’s Even Dwarfs Started Small. It will warp you, and anyway it exploits its cast in ugly ways.

I can’t recall if I was high when I saw Eraserhead. I hope so.
If I was that weirded out while stone cold sober one might well be scarred for life.

There’s that line from the stageshow of Hair as response to Claude wanting to know what was going on. “Don’t ask me, it’s your fucking hallucination”.

An extremely mind bending and unique experience to watch while high is Black Mirror: Bandersnatch. It will toy with your sense of reality.

Annihilation is another good one.

Back when I was a big fan of recreational drugs I used to watch most movies high.

I saw Airplane! (appropriately titled Flying High in Australia) stoned off my face. And did I laugh, I felt like I was going to die.

A short time later I was talking to my parents, who had just seen the movie. I told them how funny I had found it. They started recounting specific bits of the movie that they particularly liked and, to my horror, I couldn’t remember several of them. So I went and watched it again. It was still funny.

And to add some new titles - movies that I saw stoned and then dragged non-drug users along to:

The Mel Brooks movies of the 70s Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstein and High Anxiety.
And Suspiria - for Goblin really.

Many great movies already mentioned so I’ll try and add to the list:

Grandma’s Boy
Koyaanisqatsi
Beyond the Black Rainbow
Rubber
Head
Sante Sangre
The American Astronaut

I know lots more……

I think a lot of people feel that way.

I don’t use dope. Just wondering if anyone has watched Circle of Iron (AKA The Silent Flute) while stoned? That movie is weird enough, I can’t imagine what it’s like fucked up.

The trailer does not do it justice. It really is a very strange flick.

The films I did watch, back in the 90s, while high are dated thus, but they tended to be high intensity scenes with a lot to digest, ambiguity is good too, good musical soundtrack helps a lot too, less action movies (though some).

We had some decent theories on Invisibility after watching Predator, for instance.

Naked Lunch (good for “how much is this hallucination, how much paranoia?”)
Real Genius
Pump up the volume
Predator
Twelve Monkeys
Evil Dead 2
Leon: The professional
The cook the thief his wife and her lover (the music)

And strangely enough, I can’t remember many more… I wonder why that was.

I’ll second 12 Monkeys and Head. Another is 1941, which, like 12 Monkeys, made me think someone was heavy into coke (and it wasn’t me).

I never liked either of those films, but I watched Head for the first time a few years ago and thought it was a fun look back on the period.

Rainbow Bridge is my contribution to this thread. After seeing it at one of those midnight-movie showings, I had fond memories of Hendrix’s performance (of course) and some slow-motion sequences of surfing that accompanied his music. I saw it again not long ago and enjoyed those scenes but was mortified when I realized that I had completely forgotten how awful the rest of the film is. This description from the Wikipedia entry should suffice:

The loosely documentary-style film is centered on the experiences of a New York model who travels from San Diego, California, to an occult center on the island of Maui, Hawaii. While there, she encounters various devotees of surfing, clairvoyance, zen, yoga, meditation, Tai-Chi and the odd ufoloist.

I have a generally sympathetic view of the hippy movement, but this crap goes a long way toward making them look really bad.

The Wizard of Oz, while simultaneously playing Pink Floyd’s Dark Side of the Moon :grinning:

It does kind of sync up in a couple places, though not as much as people like to say. Still very fun to try. Great movie, great music; what’s not to like?

Alien, in a theater, when it first came out. I can’t think of a better flick to see stoned. O.K. - Animal House and Holy Grail.

Well the trailer looks pretty strange, and they usually try their best to make the trailer have the widest appeal…

Tron and its sequel are always a good, trippy time.

I’m surprised that – unless I missed it – no one mentioned the one movie I did watch while all around me were getting seriously baked. It’s surprising I didn’t get high myself from all the fumes. Never saw so many bongs in my life:

Reefer Madness

(Originally Tell Your Children), the 1936 film portraying the evils of marijuana.

I was going to suggest Fantasia to add to 2001 myself. I know that the circa 1969 posters for the film virtually suggested that you get high. They were done in that vaguely Peter Max-ian hippie style.

Were I to draw up a list of more recent films I’d probably add

Koyaanisqatsi
Prospero’s Books
Fantasia 2000

One of the best nights of my life, me and my friends each took two hits of acid, laughed our assess off and saw The Wall.

Also, The Rocky Horror Picture Show was better, far better on acid.

Back in college, a friend and I were about to leave my dorm and head over to another one. We went to my roommate’s room (these dorms were set up like apartments, each one had multiple bedrooms and a common area) to tell him we were leaving but got kinda caught up in the movie he was watching. After about 10 minutes we decided that instead of leaning against the door watching it, waiting for a good time to leave, we might as well just stay and watch the movie with him. It was Fight Club…and we had just eaten a bunch of mushrooms. Made for an interesting first watch of the movie. Though I could have done without him being an asshole and flicking a lighter in my face the whole time. And, no, he didn’t know we were tripping, he was just an asshole.

That would have made me start a fight club of my own. What a knob.

I sued him. I mean, not for that, but I took him to court because he just stopped paying his rent one day, left me on the hook for his rent last month, his rent this month, my rent this month, early termination fee and whatever other charges there were. I came up with about $1600 to keep an eviction off my (and his) record.

Long story short: I served him with papers, suing him for $1600. He made a settlement offer which consisted little more of “How about instead, you give me $50 or I’ll take you to court” (The $50 being my share of the last electric bill). I ignored it, took him to court, won, and both him and his dad were yelled at multiple times by the judge for being assholes.
Fun stuff.

I still run across the paperwork from time to time. It’s funny because I’ll walk through all the numbers to check my math and make sure I was in the right, and I was. There was a third roommate with us. Every once in a while he comes out of the woodwork and I’ll hear from someone that he’s mad because he thinks I took his part of the security deposit. He’s 100% right, I did, and I put it towards his part of all these expenses and his part of the rent that he didn’t want to pay and, technically, he still owes me money, and I’d be happy to show him the math.
He’s really, really lucky I didn’t sue him as well. I should have.

So, yeah, he was kind of a knob.

Man, I’ve never seen it, but after watching the trailer and the cavalcade of stars contained therein: I must see it. Preferably while really, really high. If I remember any of it, I’ll report back.

My contribution is (filmed in its entirety!): Schizopolis!

Wow! 40 replies and in the first to mention Woodstock??

Saw it in a proper movie theater, and the projector broke during the thunderstorm sequence. After several minutes someone in the audience yelled, “Hey! Maybe if we chant loud enough, the movie will come back on!”

High Times!