Moving into new rental, very annoying

Hey All,

So I’m moving from one rental from one town into another rental in a town 12 miles North to be closer to work.

My lease is up at the end of May, I’ve picked the moving date. However, I’m having a heck of a time locating a property. Everything that is available now is for May 1st, not May 21st or May 28th. I don’t want to pay a month’s worth of rent twice.

So based on the feedback and discussions with friends, I follow the below procedure.

1. Give 30 days notice at the start of May
  2. start packing
  3. Look for place starting May 14th and hope to get a move-in date of May 28th
  4. Move in on May 28th

Alternatively I have to move out on the 31, leave the stuff in the truck overnight and then move in on June 1st?

Or, move everything into storage on the 28th, then move everything again on June 4th.

Or should I give 30 days notice and ask for a pro-rate for until June 5th? and rent the new place as of June 1st with 4 or 5 days of overlap?

Should I just plan on moving stuff into storage from the get go? What have been your moving experiences?

Thank You!

Ask for a prorate, or just check into a hotel for a night or two.

Every place I’ve moved into prorates my first month so I only pay for the days I’m actually there.