Moving...to the other side of the continent, in two weeks!!

If you have a look at a map of Australia, The Pilbara is pretty much as far as you can get (as the crow flies) from Melbourne compared to any other destination in the country. And we’re going there, in two weeks. Me, my daughter, two kids, two cats, a car and a container full of furniture.

Fnark, panic time. I hate moving at the best times, but moving to the other side of the continent? I shall be practicing breathing exercises whilst crouched down between the packing boxes and skulling bottles of chardonnay.

:eek:

Not too familiar with WA, only been there once and that was south of Perth, but you seem to be heading into emptiness. Hot, dry, empty desert. What a culture shock!

Kam please … for gawks sake tell us what dark secret the daughter has over you to blackmail you into that odessy!

Pretty sure it’s “your grandkids are related to you”, isn’t it?

The Pilbara is a large region, bigger than the US state of California. I have never been before, but that looks like not just going far away, but also a major lifestyle change from crowded urban city to open, remote, quiet, and very rural country. Comparing the images shows some of the dramatic differences:

gImages, Melbourne — https://tinyurl.com/y2ue8d3j
gImages, Pilbara — https://tinyurl.com/yyfctuq8

Like GuanoLad said, a culture shock.

I hope he didn’t fall for the ‘Timeshare in Wittenoom’ scam.

I have yet to travel to Australia, but that part of the country is definitely on my list. I’m a bit of a desert rat, and Karijini National Park looks like a fantastic place.

4 of you moving’s going to pretty much double the region’s population by the sound of it…

It’ll be an adventure, keep us updated!

I had a thought, and checked on it.
Yes, Melbourne has a larger population than all of the state of Western Australia; in fact, Melbourne has almost twice the population. Five million vs 2.6 million. :eek:
Population density? 240/km² vs 1 km².
And here I thought moving from the States to Australia was culture shock - you got me beat. At least I moved from and to a similarly sized town…

Same here, part desert rat. Desert lands can be beautiful! Living near San Francisco, I’m close to the southwest USA and many good places to explore like Death Valley, Moab UT, Arches National Park, Grand Staircase/Escalante National Monument, and of course the ‘must see’ Grand Canyon… (those are image links — beautiful). On the map, it’s a nice road trip from San Francisco, something that’d take a few weeks to cover.

What’s that you say? Karijini National Park? Never heard of it before, mate, but from this image search it looks gorgeous. And here it is on the map, and it’s just south of Wittenoom.

Hmmm, I think my bucket list just got a little longer. The Pilbara! The Australian Outback! So many places to explore, so little time…

Will we ever hear from you again?

Well, sh*t.

Power to your sails. That would be a hard one for me. I’m not big on desert life, myself. I have moved thousands of miles at a time a few times now. Let me/us know if you want tips. Otherwise, the wine seems wise.

Important things to consider when moving out in the middle of nowhere.

Water. Will you have your own well? Do you have to DIG it first? Urbanites think water comes from a tap!

Power. I assume you are packing up appliances, kitchen toys, man toys from the garage, kid toys that bleep and boop. Will everyone be standing around, holding onto a plug, screaming, “Dad-deeeee?”

Flush toilets. That stuff has to go someplace!

Internet access. Be reasonable. You must be able to report back here to Straight Dope!

TV. This is the 21st century. TV is mandatory!

When we moved to our piece of Heaven out in the middle of nowhere, these criteria were the first things we addressed. Since we were far beyond starry-eyed twenty-year-olds, accomplish-everything thirty-year-olds, or even get-it-done-somehow forty-year-olds, I demanded my creature comforts!

You probably already researched closest shopping, hospitals, hardware stores, electricians and plumbers.

Good luck, man! It will be worth it! But lay in a supply of first aid stuff, and you’ll need something stronger than wine. Booze soothes all the aches at the end of the day, kills most bugs, and makes a dandy disinfectant!
~VOW

Along the way, if kambuckta drives, is Barossa Valley. Good shiraz.

Ha! We’ll be living in a town of app 15k people so not wanting for any mod cons. Water comes out of a tap, light at the flick of a switch. Shopping centres, hospital in town, school for the sprogs around the corner. Airport that even offers direct flights to Bali, so I can see a few impromptu holidays to the tropical isle.

Phone and internet connection organized yesterday, both are mandatory as I work from home so can live anywhere provided I have both. Mind you, every time I’ve moved and set up a date for a new connection, our beloved telco has managed to stuff it up every single time. In their defence though, they compensate me for any lost work time so it’s like a paid holiday really.

Not driving. Cars are going over on the back of a truck, we are flying in comfort first to Perth then up to the Pilbara.

And getting excited now. :slight_smile:

Not driving is awesome. I’ve ended up driving and it really, really sucks. A few months out you’re thinking, “This will be great. We’ll see the country with the kids. Nice relaxing trek.” You actually get to the trip and there’s no time to stop for anything, all the kids will eat is chicken tenders, the alternator blows up in the back of beyond, and if you actually meet the truck at the new place you’re darned lucky, but completely dead. Then you get to unpack. Whee!

I mean to say that you are going about this the right way. :slight_smile:

Yeah, when they call Australia the ‘wide brown land’ they really mean it. It can be hundreds of kilometres between ‘towns’ and that town might just be a petrol station/pub combined. No way in hell would I drive, especially with kids.

We’re lucky that my daughter’s company are paying handsomely for the relocation and associated costs, roughly $25k (AUD) We just wouldn’t do it otherwise, but this way we get to see a part of the world we might never see and with minimal pain, financial and mental.

Well, to some of us that sounds interesting. But I’m a road warrior and I like exploring remote places. I like exploring the US desert west and imagining the settlers 150 years ago crossing that land on foot and wagon train. They were tough! (And I was looking into shipping my Jeep to AUS to do an exploration of the wide brown land. That would be fascinating - to me! :))

But if that isn’t your thing, totally understandable, and that’s great that you’re not having to do that drive because it is a long way.

That’s a sweet deal, good for you folks!

Port Hedland? Get used to everything you own turning a rusty red colour!

Yep, one of the side effects I guess. :smiley: