Moving To The UK

Ok, I’m thinking of moving to the UK to be with my girlfriend whom I met 5 years ago online.
What the HELL do I need to do to make this happen? and what can I expect in terms of finding work, while maintaing my US citizenship (I’m imigrating, not defecting people :p) WHat paper work do I need to fill out. I’ve checked here but its really just about working in the UK. I’m having a hard time finding info on the UK’s version of a Green Card is, and how to apply for one.

I know a few dopers have made the one one trek over the pond, so I need some help here. ANy info you Guy have would be helpful; you shall be spared when the revolution comes :cool:

This is an issue for me as I’m quite often one of the first ports of call for foreigners arriving in the UK (though I have to say I’ve not yet been able to get any concrete guidance from those rascals at the Home Office yet) and I always ask to see a visa if this is the first time they have contacted the department (the Department of Work and Pensions that is)

You need to get a visa before coming into the UK here’s the website, relevant to you particular situation:é(e)&nationality=United+States&location=United+States
I beleive (though this does not constitue advice in a professioal capacity) that you will be allowed to work such a visa though you will not have recourse to public funds.

I’ve already checked that page. I’m not sure if I should get a visa or try for one of the other programes they have listed there. I really wanted to know who would know what the best way to go is.

I moved from the US to the UK about 10 years ago. In order to work you’ll have to have a work permit. It’s the employer that requests the permit for you, basically they have to explain why they should hire you instead of a UK or EU citizen. In my case it was my US based company transfering me to the UK so the paperwork was pretty straight forward. After 4 years on a work permit I was able to apply for a permanent resident visa. Then a year after that I was able to apply for citizenship, so now I’m a duallie.

That is one way of doing it, but I think it would be best to get a visa unless you have a specific job lined up.