MPSIMS Nov 1999

Babar’s house burns down.
OpalCat is pissed off at SD/Reader for shutting down TM.
What else?
Now, for the mundane, pointless: We see the Pokemon movie today. My son will be hard to restrain, when he wakes up. This is almost as big as Christmas for him.

The Houston Meeting is today.

Lengthwise, The Guy Thread is catching up to some of the Great Debates undead horses.

M and P: It was foggy as hell this morning. It looked like, well, a scene from The Fog

You say “cheesy” like that’s a BAD thing.

OOOO…it was very foggy here in FL this morning too.

Weave a circle round him thrice,
And close your eyes with holy dread,
For he on honey-dew hath fed,
And drunk the milk of Paradise.–Coleridge

I started my christmas shopping yesterday down at the peir, really foggey here too, and a lovely cool mist in the air.

My manager will be in town next week and i’m making him some cajun food. I hope he likes it.

Magnificent to behold - Greatly to be praised.

The Columbus Meeting was the first weekend of November, and the proverbial good time was had by all.

I won $500 on Friday, which was probably the topper of my week.

We went to Toys R Us to buy some presents to send out of town. Year after year I’m more and more disgusted at the offerings:junk. Then there are stores that go to the other extreme:educational. Most of those are toys the kid is guaranteed not to play with.

Then Game Boy has the idea to put out a game just before Christams that they did not anticipate enough, Pokemon yellow, which millions of kids are now screaming for. And it’s sold out everywhere.

Following up with the post on Babar’s house burning down, Jenny (TubaDiva) has suggested that we start a fund for contributions for him, and for an old board reg, Andrea, who is having some financial difficulties as well. For more information, click on this link

http://www.straightdope.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/002445.html

Where you will find Jenny’s post.

-Melin

Unless the mail holds some surprise, I’m going to fail to make a required tax deposit tomorrow. But I will meet Houston SDMBers later today.

I feel for you on the house, babar. Same thing happened to me when I was 19 - I really think that is a big part of the reason that I’m just not very materialistic. You will get past it.

Have seen Pokemon movie. Fell asleep about 20 min, so what I saw was much like a TV cartoon.But for the kids it was awesome.
Favorite Pokemon: Psyduck.It uses headache power!

My christmas shopping has been done for weeks. Don’t hate me, I finally put my foot down last year and said I am no longer by gifts for anyone who can be declared a deduction on someone’s taxes. The adults in my life do NOT need anything other than a storage lot/dump truck for all the CRAP in their lives. ( Our parents are both pack rats and I haven’t bought for my brothers in years.)

So I made everyone agree to buy only a small amount of presents for the kids and we will give them the boxes to play with. It is understood that the kids will be given a shitload of toys and clothes from the Grandparents. They cannot help themselves and I will have another year of a closet of clothing for my son that will not fit him when the season is around for outfit purchased for him at XMAS. And since we are having a girl this Feb, I fully expect to receive a truck load of pepto bismo pink lacy stuff that is this retired tomboy’s worst nightmare.

So I am only buying for my niece who will be 6 months old at Xmas, and she’s getting a teddy bear, a couple of Carsten approved books and building blocks. In fact, I’m so efficient, I have my son’s 2nd birthday ( in april) presents almost all done. It’s the wrapping I hate.

Why is Pokemon so goddamned popular? Why??

Why why why why why why why why why why why why why why???

Thank you for listening to my reasoned argument.

-PIGEONMAN-
Hero For A New Millennium!

The Legend Of PigeonMan - updates every Wed & Sat

Why is Pokemon so goddamned popular? Why??

Why why why why why why why why why why why why why why???

Thank you for listening to my reasoned argument.

-PIGEONMAN-
Hero For A New Millennium!

The Legend Of PigeonMan - updates every Wed & Sat

shit

Because everyone else has it, don’t you remember being a kid? It’s just like GI Joe or Smurfs or My Little Pony or any other toy that gets spun off into a million things. It’ll be something equally stupid next year.

Finished my “midwest tour” on Saturday. I took in Chicago (PSB concert with friend from HS), Osceola, Indiana (parents), Kalamazoo, Michigan (old co-worker), and Elgin, Illinois (brother and his new baby.) All in a week, plus caught a cold, saw “Bringing Out the Dead” and “Three Kings,” and lost my wallet in Michigan (drat!) What a hassle, not that it compares in any way to having your house burn down. Should that be in with the Mundane and Pointless stuff?

I was hit on by a guy last night. He started rubbing my neck and telling me about ‘breaking barriers.’ I about freaked out. If it wasn’t for the fact that I had been smoking lots of weed and been drinking beer and doing shots last night I would have flipped out. I have no problem with guys who want to play on both teams, just don’t be asking me to be the switch-hitter, mmmm-k?

“I’m not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.”-- Calvin and Hobbes
(__)
\/-------\ | |-----| |
…c.c…c.c…

Pokemon: it appeals to 8 year olds very well, and as a game to a few older kids

Had a very good friend of hubby’s and mine ( his first, now mine too :slight_smile: ) over for dinner on Saturday with their very hyper spaztic 2.5 year old.

[parental highmindedness]I’m not talking about your average hyperspaz child of this age. I’m talking about a kid that never shut up or sat still for a moment for the four hours they were at our house. Now, I understand that when kids are out of their enviroment they will either act up or withdraw. This kid was the former. It takes two parents EVERY NIGHT to feed him. We gave them a belt to secure him into his dinner chair to keep him from running helter skelter and he screamed bloody murder for being detained. You think we were customs agents in Turkey, fer cryin’ out loud.

Needless to say, this kid is a product of the day care gulags and his parents yuppiness. And, his mom is pregnant again. She been on medical leave due to stress and problems with the pregancy ( all stress related from her 70 hour work week) and keeps this spaz boy in daycare regardless that she is home full time. And she complains she is bored. Well, let the bull loose in the china shop and get to know him, I say. (her symptoms/problems stopped the first day she was forced to stay home, BTW)[/parental highmindedness]

BTW, my son (13 months younger) was an absolute doll, no crying, no hitting, no embarrassing moments for us parents. He just looked at this demon-seed child like he was from outer space. My son ate his dinner without any assistance from us ( he does best if we ignore him) and enjoyed running off scads of toddler energy with hyperspazdemonseedboy and slept through the night (A rarity)

[cynical parent]I’m sure next year it will be a different story, so I must gloat while I can.[/cynical parent]

I’m going back to work tomorrow. I’ve been off work for 10 weeks. I’m looking forward to it, but then again, I’m not. I’ve enjoyed being home with my husband and kids. It’s been nice spending my days with my daughter. But sick leave pay just isn’t enough to feed the family. My husband is a stay-at-home-dad, so we don’t have a day care expense, but we’ve got all the rest of those bills. Argh. I do like my job and the people I work with, though. And it will be very, very nice to listen to something besides Elmo’s Adventures in Grouchland approximately four hundred times a day. I like Elmo, but it’s getting a little much.

My landlord stopped by this evening, too. I love my landlord. I’ve been renting from him since 1992, first a one-bedroom apartment. I lived there for four years, and he never raised the rent. Then we moved into this house, and we’ve been here for three years, and he’s never raised the rent. Last summer, he put a new roof on this house. This weekend, he had new siding installed. Tonight, he told us that he’s going to be raising the rent–next spring, after he installs central air. All I could do was laugh, and say “Well, it sure as hell took you long enough!” Did I mention that I love my landlord?

Thanks for listening to me ramble. I’m done now. :slight_smile:

{{{{{Cristi}}}}}

Good luck tomorrow. You used the word “kids” so I imagine you’ve been through this before, but that doesn’t make it any easier. My hubby was a stay-at-home dad for 10 years, and well do I remember the sadness I felt when I had to leave my babies and go back to work. The good thing was knowing that I didn’t have to worry about them, that they were in good hands and with someone who would literally lay down his life for them. That made it somewhat easier.

One of the women that I worked with used to take a polaroid picture of her babies every morning before she left for work, so that she’d be able to picture them while away. Then these pictures made a nice record of the kids’ progress. I never did that, but I thought it was a neat idea.

Good luck, sweetie!

-Melin