Mr. Bean to play Lord Voldemort?!?!

I even misspelled it twice in my thoughts.

I wonder if they’ll bring Tony “Baldrick” Robinson in for Peter Pettigrew?

My main disappointment with their casting was when Martin Short didn’t get the role of Lupin (not that he auditioned or had any interest in it to my knowledge, but he was who I cast when reading the book; ditto Eric Idle & Jennifer Saunders as Mr/s. Weasley). So far my favorite casting has been Jason Isaacs as Malfoy, who was far better than anyone I would have cast.

I was kind of hoping Ian Mckellan or Patrick Stewart as Voldermort.

He can be pretty scary, I think. If nothing else, he’s a great actor. But I don’t know if I’ll be able to get over my Blackadder/Mr. Bean…

“Mr. V, sir, there’s some kid named ‘Potter’ here to see you.”
“Just as I suspected. Baldrick, prepare my cauldron.”
“Your cauldron, oh lord?”
“Yes. I have a plan so cunning, you could put a phoenix on it and call it ‘Dumbledore!’”

I believe one of the rules laid down by Ms. Rowling is that the cast of the movies must be ‘English’.

Marting Short is from Canada so I don’t think he quite qualifies.
I just hope they don’t make Voldemort a ‘comic villian’. That’s my worry.

The role of Peter Pettigrew went to Timothy Spall, who is a terrific actor. In fact, he’s the one I pictured in the role. Most of his work has been in Indie and art house type films, but he was the voice of Nick the Rat in Chicken Run.

I think this is great. Rowan Atkinson is a great actor who’s been stuck in horrible roles for way too long. Hopefully this will finally allow American audiences to see him in a good role.

Hmmm…

According to this article, this whole thing is just a rumor and Atkinson is not going to play Lord Thingy after all.

I would have never thought of Rowan Atkinson for Voldemort. Having never watched any of his works, other than the favorite snippet of him with a turkey stuck on his head, I would have never even considered him for the job.

To be honest, I hadn’t even thought of anyone for the job, when I read the books.

As for other character castings:

Sirius Black I’ve always thought an emaciated Johnny Depp, who is far too pretty, but I can picture him easilydoing this.

Lupin Has always been a tired Geoffrey Rush for me. Onlyhe is probably not the right age.

The Leaky Cauldron is also glad that it is only a rumor:

This just in.

Hmmm. I wonder if he or the production company fed that rumor out there to get either support or feedback. So far everything I’ve read on this buzz is favorable.

I wonder if this is why Rowan’s been depressed?

Incidentally, his fiftieth birthday was this week.

Eve
Hear Hear!

Word to the wise: “Celebrity News” is not, strictly speaking, an IMDb feature. It’s a wire service to which IMDb subscribes, and is operated by WENN, which is basically part of the British tabloid circuit. And when it comes to British tabloids, their celebrity and movie news are barely half a step removed from outright fiction. Go back through their pages on IMDb, and you’ll see them report as fact such ridiculous nonsense as the slew of fake names for the last James Bond movie that circulated the Internet a while back, amid the obnoxious rumormongering about troubled celebrity affairs and other bullshit.

Note the IMDb’s disclaimer at the bottom of the page: “The Internet Movie Database takes no responsibility for the content or accuracy of the articles above. The Celebrity News column is licensed from WENN and published for the entertainment of our users only. This column does not represent IMDb’s opinions nor can we guarantee that WENN’s reporting is completely factual. Please address any complaints regarding the content of this column to imdb@wenn.com.”

If you want to read reputable movie news, stay away from this page and stick to StudioBriefing.

Which movie was that?

actually Id like to say that I think Rowan Atkinson would make an AWSOME villain. Ive actually thought on many an occasion that he should be cast as such. If you have any doubts take a look at his work in Blackadder II (I think, the one where he has the beard, with the crazy queen). Now turn the volume off and just look at him. He just LOOKS evil. I mean nasty, cunning evil. He’d be brilliant.

Umm, no. Actually he turned 49 this week. He was born in 1955 according to this.

The rumor went around a few months ago. The IMDb news page often has interesting tidbits, but I take everything they say with a grain of salt.

When I heard the story the first time, my immediate reaction was “What the hell?!?” But the more I thought about it, the more I thought he could do it. I have a feeling that the role of Voldy is one of those that I’ll have that reaction to no matter who is cast. After reading the books, I just can’t think of an actor who fits the image of twisted evil I have in my head. It’s going to be interesting when the role finally is cast.

What, am I talkin’ to the coffee table here?

As I explained above, “StudioBriefing” is reputable, and “Celebrity News” is not. "StudioBriefing is collated by an actual journalist and will include a “corrections” item in editions following the occasional time it gets something wrong. “Celebrity Briefing” aka “People News” is collected and/or made up by celebrity-obsessed starfuckers who are too busy rushing to the next crumb of salacious scandal to worry about whatever falsehoods they might have propagated in their previous edition.