Mr Putin, please keep feeding the trolls.

Nitpick: It’s Russia – that should be, “Please keep feeding the *domovoi.”*

That article doesn’t make clear whether the actual Cossacks in question were true or fake. Just that there are a lot of fake Cossacks in modern Russia generally, and at the Sochi Olympics specifically.

They called them “Cossack militia” as opposed to Cossack. They were also wearing Cossack Militia uniforms, not traditional Cossack garb.

Now, I suppose some real Cossacks could have come to Sochi, disguised themselves as Cossack Militia, and gotten the media from many nations to believe they were Militia, not real Cossacks, but what would be the point?

They were the Putin militia thugs. They wore the Putin militia thug uniform, they identified themselves as the Putin militia.
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1280&bih=909&q=cossack+militia&oq=cossack+milit&gs_l=img.1.1.0j0i24l4.1134.4052.0.7011.13.9.0.4.4.0.269.1410.4j0j5.9.0....0...1ac.1.35.img..4.9.456.TakptkBdgpg
What point are you trying to make here? Why are you questioning this?:confused:

No point. I was just surprised to see you claim that they were definitely not true ethnic Cossacks, when in fact they could very well have been true ethnic Cossacks.

No biggie, though, and thanks for the interesting links.

Of course, and it’s not impossible that some of those morons in the USA wearing those pathetic neo-nazi garbs were at one time real SS Stormtroopers.:dubious: *But I don’t think so.

Yeeeeeah, actually some Nazis survived the war and kept the faith and liked to strut their stuff and hang around with neo-Nazis and wear uniforms and shit. Real-life, old-timey actual-NSDAP Nazis hanging out with low-life, hooligan neo-Nazi knuckleheads. It happens.

Boys, boys, boys, I’m sticking with “Cossacks” because, though it gives a few losers hard-ons from the reflected “glory,” it also makes Putin look bad, both because of negative thoughts about Cossacks and thems what use them, and that he needs punks playing dress-up to help him throw his weight around.

And the Jesuits have always been the Pope’s commandos or marines.

Well, I’m not claiming to know any more about the Jesuits than is available on a Wikipedia page, but my understanding was that the original Jesuits (formed in 1537) had a military background and that’s why they were called the “Soldiers of God”. All the information I’ve ever read talks about how important learning is to the order. Never any mention of them taking up arms. Although their traditional black robe is call a Cassock, which is awfully close to being a Cossack!

But “Cossack Militia” sounds even worse and has nastier connotations. Plus, it’s correct.:stuck_out_tongue:

As Pepe Le Pew would say, “Le sigh!” Juxtaposition is an element of humor. In this case, I placed Hitler’s Sturmtruppen next to the Jesuits, still known as the Pope’s Marines or Commandos because they are quick responders and willing to do anything and go anywhere they are needed, as a humorous juxtaposition, not intending a direct comparison. Or, as Foghorn Leghorn would say, “That’s a joke, son!

ETA: Shoulda listened to the call of my (possible) vocation and become a Jesuit. I’m old now and neither the Latin nor the celibacy seem so scary. Hear that, God? Drop the dead language and let us get laid and a lot more will hear the call.

I’m sorry, I can’t hear you over the sound of the jet whooshing over my head.:slight_smile:
K