MSNBC Edits Mitt Romney Speech To Make Him Look Silly

Ain’t that the truth. It’s like a minor-league team playing the Yankees.

“MSNBC Edits Mitt Romney Speech To Make Him Look Silly”

Funny…Mittens rarely needs any help to achieve that.

Not to single you out, jayjay, but as much as folks around here think “Mittens” is clever… it’s about as clever as “Barry”, if that.

Clearly misleading. Trying to paint Romney as having a Bush I grocery store moment, I suppose. Shame on MSNBC for stooping to Fox tactics.

It is also worth noting that Romney’s point about the 33-page form is also misleading. Contrary to being an example of government inefficiency or bloat, there’s a clear reason to have such an extensive form: Medicare fraud. Notably, the Obama Administration has been quite successful at prosecuting Medicare fraud, something the GOP claims to support.

Well, sure, but that’s a completely different criticism.

what you’re saying is different: yeah, he told the truth, but for such an important function, 33-ish pages makes sense.

I can call him Willard, if you like. He hangs out with enough rats.

Actually, Romney sounds a whole lot sillier in the Youtube video.

Well done, sir.

Indeed.

Haha, a very apt analogy, since GWB’s “grocery store” moment was also a complete and utter fraud, fabricated by an NYTimes reporter.

Either Romney is just as stupid as his comments would make him appear, or he is talking down to his audience. Comparing the efficiency of a sandwich shop with a necessarily complex social program, by way of illustrating the inherent stupidity of all government functions. It is fake cracker barrel common sense, pretending that he and the common man share views, values, and outlooks.

He may actually believe it, the most contact he has with working class people is by way of tipping, and he has people for that sort of thing.

I agree with the OP. Romney was making a rational point about how competition makes private businesses (or state governments) more efficient than the federal government. I might not agree with his argument but Romney did present it in a rational manner. I’d have no problem with a report challenging Romney on the facts he used or reporting somebody else making a counterargument. But this report just took some things Romney said and edited away the context to leave a video that made Romney look silly. That’s bad journalism.

In all of this, does no one notice what Romney is really saying here? In his comments about the touch-screens at WaWa’s, he says it is amazing that private businesses have come up with an innovative way to compete. Cool. How do those touch-screens help WaWa’s compete? BY ELIMINATING JOBS!!! Each one of those touch screens represents a person’s job. Why is no one blasting Romney for favoring the elimination of private sector jobs? WaWa’s perhaps got tax breaks to be “job-creators” and instead spent the money buying a computer that doesn’t ever take breaks, doesn’t use the restroom, never asks for better pay or working conditions, and never talks to his girlfriend when he’s supposed to be taking orders. MSNBC should have played the whole clip and then blasted Romney for his conclusion, that WaWa’s has done an “amazing” job of eliminating jobs in its community.

The MSNBC clip hinges on the word “amazing”. By ending the quote after “amazing”, they make it seem that Romney is calling the touch-screen technology “amazing”. To me, that is better than Romney saying that cutting jobs by using technology is “amazing”. Sadly, the latter was actually Romney’s point, and conservatives are upset because this point was not made clear by the clip MSNBC actually played. Idiots.

Where are the conservatives up in arms because Fox’s edit of Obama’s November interview regarding immigration totally changed the meaning of Obama’s comments. In fact, Fox’s presentation of that interview leaves the viewer with the impression that Obama’s words meant exactly the OPPOSITE of what he actually said.

By the way, the chain around here that uses those touch-screens is called Buc-ee’s. The ordering system is “eh”, but the sandwiches – those are AMAZING!

Did you watch the linked video? They ran the entire speech (about three minutes) alongside the parts of the speech that MSNBC used in their report.

I didn’t think my post mentioned a goal, actually. But, I’ll accept a restatement of your question to me in the following format:

Oh, it’s a long list. One of the things that is on it is: “run a clean campaign.”

Two of the things that are NOT on it are “vote for a Republican candidate,” and “watch news on television.”

But those things aren’t on any list of what it’s OK to do, anyway. Ever. :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh, bullcrap. See post #55.

Maybe Canada’s government would like to compete with the U.S. government for the function of processing change-of-address forms for our Medicare system.

Or Russia’s government could compete with the U.S government for the function of guarding our embassies to other nations.

It’s a BIG planet! There are sure to be OODLES of BARGAINS to be found!

It’s unbelievable to me that this:

“Shame on MSNBC for stooping to Fox tactics.”

Has passed without comment. What that says to me is that even the Republicans posting in this thread admit “Yeah, our sides lies like mother fuckers, but you liberals should be held to a higher standard.” Fuck that. I’m tired of bringing a toothbrush to a gun fight.

I’ve heard that Mitt Romney supports the selling of children to Arab slavers. He also supports the exemption of any money received from said sale from any taxes whatsoever as long as the profits are invested in the exploitation of people whose skin is browner than the profiteers.

Well, I can see why someone might say that, but it’s worth noting that, even in context, Mitt comes off as out of touch and robotic.

First, the store is called Wawa, not Wawa’s. He keeps saying Wawa’s, which makes him sound strange to anyone who knows the store. I don’t know if I’d go as far as to say that nobody calls it that, but it that pronunciation is not the most common, nor is it correct.

Second, Wawa has 590+ locations, most in the Northeast. They are fairly ubiquitous in NJ. It’s the third largest retailer of food in Greater Philadelphia, and around the 65th largest private company in the US. A guy living in Massachusetts should have probably heard of Wawa. Doubly so if you are a governor who is invested in competing with nearby states for business. Even if you suppose one might miss that, I find it kinda strange to act as if it’s some novelty shop given their size and age (almost 50 years old). For comparison’s sake, there are “only” 274 In-N-Out Burgers, and they have about 1/10 the revenue. This is not some mom and pop store, so not knowing of it’s existence, as a supposed business-first executive, is kinda odd.

Third, it’s not a “touch-tone keypad”, it’s a touch-screen ordering system. Calling something touch-tone keypad, even if accurate, it just weird and stilted language. Like saying the New York Metropolitans are your favorite baseball squadron.

Fourth, the takeaway I got from the MSNBC thing was not about his public/private comparison, that’s why there is no need to include the part about address changes. It was just a cheap shot about Romney’s ineffectual, transparent pandering. It plays, rightfully so, into the narrative of him being an out of touch rich guy. In an ideal world, the legitimate media would not engage in that kind of stuff, but such is the world we live in.

If you’re going to stoop to FOX News standards you have to make something up that isn’t true!