Mulberries

I have this thing about mulberries. Well, I grew up with a mulberry bush in my grandmother’s front yard. Spent most of my summers half purple. They’re sort of my madeliene. So I was thrilled beyond words to find out the trees mom planted in her front yard are in fact, mulberry bushes. And have just gotten old enough to produce mulberries.

When I was a kid I just ate them off the bush (as god intended) but now that I’m older and more corrupt I was wondering about what else I could do with them. Jams? Pies? Sauces? Wine? What do people do with mulberries?

I should not some of these are white mulberries. Which I consider the lesser mulberry. As noted, that are supposed to leave you purple. But they still taste pretty good.

Any inspiration? Thanks.
(I hope this thread goes over better than the one I started on liver. You know I think the organ meat hostility on this board is simply shameful :frowning: )

I like liver. Where was I?

Anyway. Mulberries. An acquired taste.
Loved 'em when I was young, but don’t have any nearby now.

Baker makes great pies with them.

My only warning is that Granma didn’t want me to eat them until they had been swished through salt water to get rid of the tiny worms.

Sometimes I did, sometimes…

I’ve never seen a mulberry bush. They’re trees around here. Is there a bush, or is that just what they call the tree?

I was wondering the same thing. The majority of mulberry trees you see around here are fruitless, but there is the occasional fruited kind.

Are the berries edible?

The Mulberry trees I grew up with came in either male or female. The male trees make no berries. I suppose they produce the pollen, but I can’t recall seeing male flowers on them, so male blossoms must be tiny.

Mulberries are highly edible, but not as sweet as most fruits. They’re not as tart either, but rather bland. They’re still enjoyable. Birds love mulberries, and I think they’re the preferred food for silkworms.

MMMMMMMMMMMM… Mulberries . I have 4 fruit producing trees in my back yard , and love the things , just straight off the tree . Never MADE anything with them , just ate them by the handful since I was a kid (I have lived in this same house since I was 3 years old :eek: ) .

Nothing more to add , just wanted to add my praise for mulberries . My dogs like them too , and can often be found browsing the low-hanging branches . :smiley:

I guess technically they are trees. As they tend to have a single trunk. But somehow “Here we go 'round the mulberry tree…” just doesn’t sound right. Beyond that, the one I grew up with was more bush like…small and rounded with hanging branches. But I understand this a a rarer variety.

Bite your tongue! There are not bland! (Sorry, I said I had a thing about them :wink: ). I think they just have a very short span between underripe (tart) and overripe (well, ok…potentially bland). You just have to fight the birds for the ones at the perfect flavour (they seem to know).

Any pie tips that you know of? I’m assuming you treat them like you would any other berry pie, but anything (flavouring, sugar etc.) particular to mulberries? 'Cause a pie sounds like it would be interesting.

!!! I don’t think I’ve ever even seen a mulberry! Didn’t even know they were edible! I always assumed mulberry trees were cultivated just to feed silkworms.

Hm, Mulberries are one of those things I Cannot Eat. I ate soem on a camping trip runnung around with the other kids camped there… the black ones tasted overripe I had been told not to eat the green (unripe) fruit, so I ate the red ones. They made me sick sick sick. Still a family joke decades later “I DIDN’T eat the green ones I ate the red ones!”

http://www.gvta.on.ca/gdo/images/mulberries.jpg

betenoir. Fighting ignorance since 2000.

If I’m not mistaken (speaking of ignorance) the silkworms eat the leaves. The berries are eaten by birds and…well, me and a some other people in this thread. They’re a bit like blackberries but…subtler :slight_smile: .

Until I read this thread, I didn’t know there were edible mulberries. I guess it’s because they don’t have many edible mulberry trees where I live (i.e., the Western U.S.).

Which brings me to this question: despite their appearance, are mulberries really berries? Berries grow on bushes, not trees. If mulberries come from mulberry trees, they must come from some other family of fruit than the berry. Or, if they really are berries, mulberry trees aren’t really trees.

Well waddaya know…nope, they’re not: http://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/mulberry.html

Fruit: Botanically the fruit is not a berry but a collective fruit, in appearance like a swollen loganberry. When the flowers are pollinated, they and their fleshy bases begin to swell. Ultimately they become completely altered in texture and color, becoming succulent, fat and full of juice. In appearance, each tiny swollen flower roughly resembles the individual drupe of a blackberry. The color of the fruit does not identify the mulberry species. White mulberries, for example, can produce white, lavender or black fruit. White mulberry fruits are generally very sweet but often lacking in needed tartness. Red mulberry fruits are usually deep red, almost black, and in the best clones have a flavor that almost equals that of the black mulberry. Black mulberry fruits are large and juicy, with a good balance of sweetness and tartness that makes them the best flavored species of mulberry. The refreshing tart taste is in some ways reminiscent of grapefruit. Mulberries ripen over an extended period of time unlike many other fruits which seem to come all at once.

“Here we go round the mulcollectivefruit tree, so early in the morning”? Doesn’t really roll off the tongue does it :frowning: ?

On the other hand I think that description is turning me one :smiley: .

I love mulberries. They are very juicy, so when I use the fruit pie recipe from The Joy of Cooking, I use more cornstarch than they list. A couple splashes of lemon juice is recommended and just a little cinnamon, maybe 1/2 to 1 teaspoon in a large pie. You don’t really taste the latter, but it does something to accent the flavor of the mulberries.

Mulberries make excellent jams and jelly too. As said, they aren’t really sweet, but spread a little butter on fresh bread, with a smear of mulberry jam, is excellent!

:smack: turning me on…not turning me one…I would not want to turn into a mulberry, too many bad Willie Wonka memories.

Thanks! That’s perfect, got my JoC right here :).

5 cups mulberries
3.75 Tablespoons cornstarch
1.25 cups sugar
1/3 cups water or juice
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
butter
2 unbaked pie crusts

Mix together the sugar, cinnamon and cornstarch. Mix with the water or juice, and stir into berries, along with lemon juice. Let the mix set for 15 to 20 minutes, and pour into pie shell. Dot with butter, and cover with top crust. Brush with an egg wash glaze if desired, and sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 50 to 60 minutes at 350 degrees Farenheit, or until top crust is a rich, golden brown. Let it cool before cutting.

Oh, and save me a piece. :stuck_out_tongue: