Multiple Linksys routers on same network

I was wondering what would happen if I have 2 Linksys routers (1 wired, the other wireless) were on the same network and I wanted to configure the routers.

I mean isn’t the default configuration address for both 192.168.1.1?

How can I choose to configure the wired one instead of the wireless and vice versa?

Also can a Linksys wireless adapter work well with a US robotics Wireless router or do I have to configure it in some way? Ideally the two should work with no adjusting but I’m sure that each company makes it so that the adapters work seamlessly with only their products.

The one that’s connected directly to the internet gets the 192.168.1.1 address, and set it as a gateway.

The wireless one (most likely) set it to another address (yes, you can change it from default), and set it to be a router.

That should do it. 802.11 is fairly standard, so it should work with whatever adapter/router combination, but speeds may vary depending on if you have 802.11a, b, or g, and in what combinations.

But, since the wireless speed of even 802.11a is faster than the internet connection, it shouldn’t matter.

You’ve got to make sure that only one of the routers is configured to do DHCP. Out of the box, most SOHO routers are going to assume they’re the only routers on the local network and they’ll start doing DHCP server duty.

And two DHCP servers on one network is a recipe for headscratching with lots of intermittent failures.

To answer the question of how to pick which one to configure, you’re right: until you can do a little configuration on them, they’re both addressed as 192.168.1.1, which puts you in a bit of a pickle. The “normal” way to deal with this is to not hook them together at first. Take the 2nd router and a computer and hook them together, but hook them to nothing else. Use this computer to go to http://192.168.1.1 and configure the thing to use a different address, and definitely disable the DHCP server on the second router if you’ve got their LAN sides connected together (this is not necessary if you have the 2nd router’s WAN port plugged into a LAN port on the first router, because the 2nd router’s LAN side will be a seperate network with its own DHCP server). Once that’s set up, put them on the same network and you can use their different addresses to configure them seperately.

Hope that helps. If you get a little more specific about what your goals are (why two routers, for example), we can probably tell you exactly what to plug where and how to configure it.

To answer your other question: most brands will work fine with each other. Not because they make an effort to make sure they’ll work seamlessly with all brands, but more because they don’t generally make much of an effort to make their own products work better with each other than with competing brands. :smiley: