Museum of the recently obsolete...

Imagine a museum featuring items (not drawn from pop culture) that were common a generation ago but have more or less disappeared today…

my offerings:

Rabbit Ear style TV antennas
Dial telephones

what other exhibits should be considered?
regards
FML

Traditional road maps. (Actually, I’m not sure if people use these or not. I run my directions on MapQuest.)

I use MapQuest for my every day directions, but I love paper maps. When we go on a kayak trip, I try to get the USGS maps for the area. Paper maps are a kind of art IMO.

ETA: Floppy discs, all sizes.

LPs and turntables
Typewriters

Large, decorative ashtrays.

Payphones and film cameras. One more than the other.

TV’s with knobs on them (no remote).

Film cameras are far from obsolete.

Slide rules. Though I still have one.

I agree on the “beautiful maps” thing. The ones you pick up at the gas station prolly won’t fall into that category, but there are some breathtaking ones out there.

Analog clocks
Filing Cabinets (imagining a paperless future)

Manual chokes.
Cassette tapes.

A lot of automobile stuff

Ignition points and
Feeler gauges to set them
Carburators
Front drum brakes.

With the exceptioon of my alarm clock and VCR, every clock in my house is analog. As are my watches.

The library clock is analog. The clock at Foley’s and Macy*s at the mall are analog. In fact, every single clock I can think of in a public place is analog.

An exception for those time and temp bank clocks, tho, as those are all digital. And they seem to be on every corner, so maybe that’s what you’re pointing out.

Payphones are definitely scarce, but I can still see them at convenience stores. An actual phone booth, tho… Can’t think of where one might be around me.

I still carry and use a variety of corded power tools, but I find myself going cordless more often than not.

I’m wondering where all the umbrellas went. I carry one in my car. I see them for sale everywhere, even at the dollar stores. But, I rarely see one in use on rainy days. Most people seem to prefer their briefcase, purse, or a newspaper. Odd.

VCRs
Typewriters
Zip disks
Modems (okay, not completely obsolete, but damn near)

The museum would have a whole wing for old electronic devices that have been superceded by newer models: old computers (e.g. the Apple II, the original IBM PC) and associated peripherals (e.g. dot matrix printers), entertainment devices (e.g. 8-track tape players), video game systems (e.g. the Atari 2600)…

non-laser pointers
dot- matrix printers
ultrasonic remote controls
Rotary push mowers
CD walkmen, maybe not quite dead, but heading that way in favor of MP3.

Actual paychecks (now in the form of paystubs for direct deposit amounts)

Movies on VHS cassettes (or, even more obsolete, on Beta)

Rotary push mowers are still being sold, new where I live. And they are proving very popular with the green crowd. I think you might be wrong on this one.