Musical Connections Mix Tape thread

In the spirit of James Burke and the TV show Connections, I want to do a musical collaboration mix tape thread. I’m not sure if this has been done here before, but it was something I was thinking about on my walk out to my car today.

For those who have never seen the show, he basically hops between unrelated topics by drawing attention to where they are connected. I wish to do this with musical collaborations and assemble mix tape (or CD or mp3 player) lists out of it. To make it more fun, clarify the links between nonobvious collaboration.

By “collaboration”, it may fit any of the following (in order of descending preference)
a) Duet or instrumentation contributed
b) Remixing
c) Production or production assistance
d) Inspiration (for instance “Song for Bob Dylan” by David Bowie links the two)
e) Writing or writing assistance (covers included)
f) Relative (discouraged but since Bob and Jakob probably sang together at some time, it would be hard pressed not to let it in)

So here is a list to start it:

1. Gigi “Guramayle” produced by Bill Laswell who also produced
  2. Tabla Beat Science “Secret Channel” featuring Talvin Singh who collaborated with
  3. Bjork “Aeroplane” from the “MTV’s 120 Minutes Live” album, who, on her Selmasongs soundtrack, sang with Thom Yorke of
  4. Radiohead “Knives Out” which was covered by
  5. The Flaming Lips “Yoshimi versus the Pink Robots” which is a pick-me-up over the last song. On the same EP (Fight Test) they cover
  6. Beck “The Golden Age” who has extensive collaborations with
  7. Air “The Vagabond”. Air also has been remixed by Dan the Automator on a CD called “Wanna Buy a Monkey”, featuring a bunch of great stuff by him including his band
  8. Lovage “Stroker Ace” and some stuff (but not this track by)
  9. Gorillaz “19-2000”, which is of course a put together band allowing me the opportunity to go with a Cibo Matto (Miho Hatori) or Blur (Damon Albarn) track but instead I’ll go to
  10. Del the Funky Homosapien “Mistadobalina” but let’s hop back to Dan the Automator (who produced some of Del’s stuff, as well as Cornershop and a billion other avenues) but we can go kind of an interesting direction if we go to
  11. Badar Ali Khan, Dan the Automator, and DJ Baba G “Ali Mola”. Badar is the cousin of
  12. Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan “Crest (Massive Attack Remix)”. Massive Attack allows the opportunity to go a bunch of different directions but I’ll choose a less obvious one
  13. Massive Attack “Teardrop” whose vocals are contributed by Liz Fraser of
  14. The Cocteau Twins “Bluebeard”

Which is where I’ll end it, as I know next to nothing about the Cocteau Twins outside of the two albums I own of theirs. If I hadn’t gone that direction, I could have tied it back around to Gigi, as her backup musicians on that song were Herbie Hancock, Pharoah Sanders, and Wayne Shorter but I find that music along that axis ponderous for this mixtape. Wayne Shorter and John McLaughlin were both personnel on Bitches Brew by Miles Davis and John McLaughlin was in Shakti with Zakir Hussain, who was also in Tabla Beat Science so that could have tied it back into (2). But I digress…

Let’s see whatcha got!