Selective enforcement of Shariah, I say. Are these teetotalling drivers going to also refuse to transport mixed-sex couples, unless the woman has the appropriate escort? What about unescorted females?
At least the drivers aren’t chargind a Dhimmi surcharge on non-Muslim passengers.
I really have no idea about the nature of their charter other than what we’ve all read on this thread. Apparently, it’s more flexible than how I imagined it to be. In the Philippines where I am right now, a cab driver will lose his license for refusing passengers (or at least get a hefty fine). After having been refused service a number of times for various spurious reasons, I have no objections to this.
[QUOTE=Shodan]
For some reason, “Jesus was a cunt” is OK, but “Muhammed was a rapist” is trolling. Go figure.
[/QUOTE]
Your distortions are as boring as those of the authors of the two phrases you posted.
Anduril was not censored for his opinion about Mohammad. For that, I (as a poster) simply pointed out that he was wrong and expressed the opinion that he was being foolish in his claim. It was only after he continued to post both his off-topic opinion and his lie that Muslim scholars supported his view that I admonished him that he appeared to be trolling.
He is free to open a thread to discuss the personal life of Mohammad. He is not free to derail a separate thread with inflammatory rhetoric. I have admonished the author of the other remark for the same sort of behavior, so your implied claim of disparate treatment is simply false. (I suspect deliberately so).
I think I can safely say that not all interpretations of Islamic law prohibit the carrying of alcohol. Otherwise, there would not be such a booming business at the bars and clubs in the United Arab Emirates.
[QUOTE=Anduril]
The obligations do not include having the doctor prescribe medicine. There is an obligation to provide diagnostic information and treatment options, but does not extend to the actual prescribing of the medicine or treatment (if I’m not mistaken).
[/QUOTE]
Likewise, the charter granters have decided that the cabbies obligations do not include carrying all manner of cargo. There is an obligation to provide transport information (take the next cab please) and options (I’ll take you without the booze) but [that] does not extend to the actual transport of alchohol.
If if there is a sufficiently small enough number of drivers who wish, because of religious reasons, for their duties not to include transportation of alcohol that this doesn’t overly innconvenience the public then the light on the cab is a fairly elegant solution and thus, would fall under the umbrella of “reasonable accomodation.”
If the number of chartered cabs who refuse to transport alcohol is sufficiently largely to overly innconvenience the public then the charter holders are free to decide that this solution is not “reasonable accomodation” and if challenged legally on this point, would quite likely win.
I’m not seeing the problem here.
Likewise, I don’t have a problem with a doctor saying “I’m sorry I don’t provide that service but the next doctor in line does. Look for the ones without binky-hat with the blue light on top.”
[QUOTE=tomndebb]
Your distortions are as boring as those of the authors of the two phrases you posted.
Anduril was not censored for his opinion about Mohammad. For that, I (as a poster) simply pointed out that he was wrong and expressed the opinion that he was being foolish in his claim. It was only after he continued to post both his off-topic opinion and his lie that Muslim scholars supported his view that I admonished him that he appeared to be trolling.
He is free to open a thread to discuss the personal life of Mohammad. He is not free to derail a separate thread with inflammatory rhetoric. I have admonished the author of the other remark for the same sort of behavior, so your implied claim of disparate treatment is simply false. (I suspect deliberately so).
[/QUOTE]
You’ve accused me of lying twice on this thread and I don’t appreciate it. I did not say that Muslim scholars supported my view. What I said was, the source of my appreciation of Muhammad are historical documents that muslim scholars themselves have judged as the most accurate. There’s a difference there.
I’ll create a separate thread on Muhammad when I’m ready.
[QUOTE=Dubious Weasle]
I’m not seeing the problem here.
[/QUOTE]
The problem is that the government did not decide that cabbies don’t need to carry all cargo, or take all passengers, they were too scared to actually enforce the rules as they were written. This has nothing to do with providing muslim drivers with a religious accomodation, and everything to do with avoiding conflict. I submit that if the number of cabbies wanting this was small, the government would have told them to piss off and do their jobs.
[QUOTE=Dubious Weasle]
Likewise, the charter granters have decided that the cabbies obligations do not include carrying all manner of cargo. There is an obligation to provide transport information (take the next cab please) and options (I’ll take you without the booze) but [that] does not extend to the actual transport of alchohol.
[/QUOTE]
After the fact. After the drivers’ refusal to do their duty.
[QUOTE=tomndebb]
You are lying and, at this point, I suspect that you are trolling. While you might be able to make the “murder” claim stick, only the most idiotic Islam bashers on the blogs of the uninformed actually consider his behavior to have been “rape” or “pedophilia” and the actions that are labeled “cowardly” would be examples of prudence to people who were not simply trying to libel a group they hated to begin with.
You have had your little fun, here, riling people up with your smear campaign. You will now stop it as it has nothing to do with this thread.
[ /Moderating ]
[/QUOTE]
That M married and had sex with a pre-teen girl is not a lie according to Hadiths the Sunni consider second only to the Koran. Volume 5, Book 58, Number 234:
Sunni view this as their most trusted collections, calling it “The most authentic book after the Holy Qur’an”
Sunni Muslims believe that Bukhari spent sixteen years collecting and writing down those traditions he thought trustworthy. They recount that Bukhari collected over 300,000 hadith [3] and transmitted only 2,602 traditions that he believed to be Sahih [2]. It is said that before he placed a hadith in his collection, he would perform ghusl (full\greater ritual ablution) and prayed two Rakah (Islamic unit for form of prayer) Nafl (voluntary prayer) to ask God for guidance.[4]
Of course he wasn’t technically a pedeophile as screwing pre-teen girls was fine so you have a fig leaf for defence but if I were you I’d feel a need to apologise for the extremely intemperate tone of your rebuke.
As is the ‘coward’ crack but I guess mileages may vary. But whatever way you slice it he was no saint. Here he is both a murderer and a coward for sending others to do his dirty work.
And please - don’t try and pull the ‘It’s not in the koran’ debating trick. The Koran is not the Bible. The Hadiths are also authoritative even if the mileage of different sects for different ones vary. The Sunni at least hold the source of these quotes in high regard.
Therefore if you wish to understand any particular form of Islam you must understand what their particular selection of Hadiths say and how these are being used to supplement the Koran.
I really feel your words here were extremely intemperate.
[QUOTE=tomndebb] Anduril was not censored for his opinion about Mohammad.
[/quote]
Yes, he was, which is why you put the [/Moderating] tag at the end of your assertion that his opinion was trolling.
In other words, since he disregarded your opinion as a poster, you donned your moderator hat and warned him for trolling.
And, as has been demonstrated, his claim that certain of the historical documents about Islam supported him is not a lie. So apparently you were unable to refute his argument, and therefore decided to abuse your position as moderator to shut off a debate point that you didn’t care for.
So far we have one violation of the rules of GD, and one abuse of your moderator position. I wonder what comes next.
[QUOTE=Shodan]
In other words, since he disregarded your opinion as a poster, you donned your moderator hat and warned him for trolling.
[/QUOTE]
No. Since he continued to post the irrelevant and inflammatory comments, I admonished him for trolling.
You and Anduril and Tagos and anyone else is welcome to open a new thread on the topic without fear of any Moderator action.
It would help if you would stop lying about disparate treatment when none has occurred, of course.
[QUOTE=tomndebb]
If you want to debate the morals of Mohammad, open a thread.
This is simply hijacking a thread for the purpose of hurling insults.
[/QUOTE]
I take that point but that does not permit you to call a member a liar on the basis of your own demonstrable lack of knowledge of a subject.
[QUOTE=tomndebb]
Since he continued to post the irrelevant and inflammatory comments, I admonished him for trolling.
[/quote]
In other words, things developed exactly as I described. A poster (you) comes into the thread throwing insults. He disagreed with your post (perhaps because, among other things, you were clearly wrong). Then, having failed as a poster, you put on your mod hat and tried to win the argument that way.
Since then, it seems to be a series of accusations and insults - all from you - that anyone who disagrees with you is a liar.
A moderator who begins his involvement in a thread with a violation of the rules, and continues to accusations of lying and trolling against those who disregard his demonstrably false claims, might be well advised to leave the moderation of this thread to someone less emotionally involved in it.
[QUOTE=Shodan]
A moderator who begins his involvement in a thread with a violation of the rules, and continues to accusations of lying and trolling against those who disregard his demonstrably false claims, might be well advised to leave the moderation of this thread to someone less emotionally involved in it.
[/QUOTE]
Alternatively, a poster who enters a thread for no other reason than to pick a fight with a Moderator is in violation of the rules and might better take his efforts to the Pit where they belong.
[QUOTE=tagos]
I take that point but that does not permit you to call a member a liar on the basis of your own demonstrable lack of knowledge of a subject.
[/QUOTE]
My “lack of knowledge” has not been demonstrated, only my disagreement. For the initial insult, I have already apologized.
[QUOTE=tomndebb]
My “lack of knowledge” has not been demonstrated, only my disagreement. For the initial insult, I have already apologized.
[/QUOTE]
Your lack of knowledge has been firmly demonstrated by my well-cited post concerning both murder and having sex with a pre-teen. ‘Disagreement’ in GD involves a lot more than ‘oh no it isn’t’ or ‘I don’t like that’.
I have shown that for the Sunni there are extremely highly regarded documents that show M was a murdering torturer who had sex with a pre-teen. On what cited basis does your disagreement rest?
[QUOTE=tagos]
Your lack of knowledge has been firmly demonstrated by my well-cited post concerning both murder and having sex with a pre-teen. ‘Disagreement’ in GD involves a lot more than ‘oh no it isn’t’ or ‘I don’t like that’.
I have shown that for the Sunni there are extremely highly regarded documents that show M was a murdering torturer who had sex with a pre-teen. On what cited basis does your disagreement rest?
[/QUOTE]
Open a new thread.
[QUOTE=tomndebb]
My “lack of knowledge” has not been demonstrated, only my disagreement. For the initial insult, I have already apologized.
[/QUOTE]
And perhaps you could point me at the apology. I may be missing it but I can see no such thing. Certainly nothing that matches the prominence and vitriolic length of the offence.